Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Person and Wilson Counties Honor Retiring Ag. Agents, 1952

From the October 1952 issue of Extension Farm-News, published by the Agricultural Extension Service, State College of Agriculture and Engineering, Raleigh

H.K. Sanders retired as farm agent of Person County on September first, after 25 years of service and Joe Anthony retired as farm agent of Wilson County with 15 years of service there.

The Rotary Club of Roxboro tendered Mr. Sanders a testimony dinner on the evening of September 24 and presented him with a beautiful bronze plaque testifying to his years of service.

The Board of County Commissioners, the Farm Bureau, and the men and women of Wilson County held a similar dinner for Mr. Anthony on the evening of October 1. During the evening, he was honored with gifts of appreciation and, as with Mr. Sanders, was eulogized for the work which he has done.

It made one proud to attend such occasions and to be a member of an organization so highly appreciated by the people.

Sanders wrote the following on Extension work:

The Chinese poet, Wong Wei, lived 4000 years ago. Upon being asked “what is the most worthwhile think in life?” he replied:

“I am old. Nothing interests me now. Moreover, I am not very intelligent, and my ideas have never travelled farther than my feet. I know only my forests, to which I always come back.”

You ask me what is the supreme happiness here below?
It is listening to the song of a little girl
As she goes on down the road
After having asked me the way.

Agricultural Extension work is an educational organization that sends men, women and youth singing down the road of life because it carries to them knowledge and helps them to develop their farms, their homes, their children, their institutions and themselves.

Sending rural people on down the road singing is the spirit and the heart of Extension. It is what Agricultural Extension work is.

No comments:

Post a Comment