Monday, March 12, 2012

How Life Used to Be in Wenona, North Carolina

“My Memories” by Ann Jackson, as published in The Precious Past: Reminiscences of the Way Life Used to Be, compiled and published by the Washington County Extension Homemakers in 1992.

I REMEMBER WHEN my mother came home from the Home Demonstration Club meetings. I would always inquire of the refreshments she had at the meeting. It was always “that shivering Jello with a dollop of real whipped cream.”

I REMEMBER WHEN there were no paved roads in Wenona, and they were all dirt. So was Highway 99. We always enjoyed getting stuck on the muddy roads after a rain, because we could be late to school! Neighbors would pull the bus out. If there was a breakdown with the bus, we had to wait for the county bus mechanics to come. That would really put us late for school. There were no phones, so I guess the only way the mechanics knew we were having trouble was when our bus was missing from the schoolhouse.

I REMEMBER WHEN I had to, as a child, wear those long stockings to school. When I got away from home, I would roll them down or take them off.

I REMEMBER WHEN there was a bus running from Plymouth to Belhaven every day to carry workers to the Pulp Mill. I would catch it at Mrs. Lucy’s Store on Highway 99 and ride to town to see my friends. Then I’d catch it at the bus station and ride back to the store. Then I would have to walk the mile home on A canal.

I REMEMBER WHEN a group of us kids used to get together and ride our bikes all over the Wenona area. When the weather was dry, we used to ride our bikes through the canals. We would ride down one side and come up the other at great speeds. I am surprised we never fell and broke a limb. We even formed a Bike Club at one time and had parties in the summer.

I REMEMBER WHEN the Wenona section used to have wooden bridges with banisters and railings over all the canals. We used to walk on the banisters from side to side.

I REMEMBER WHEN the Wenona section did not have any telephones or electricity. But my family had a Delco Engine plant behind my house; we had electric lights and running water at home. Today, there still stands the building we called the “engine house”.

I REMEMBER WHEN Plymouth was a bustling town on Saturdays. We used to go to town every Saturday and try to find a parking place where we could park and watch the people go by. Parking places were hard to find, and stores stayed open late on Saturday evenings. There were legal turn-arounds in the street at Water and Adams, and Water and Jefferson.

I REMEMBER WHEN Plymouth had a city bus. It ran out to the Pulp Mill, and nearly everywhere else in town.

I REMEMBER WHEN Mr. Nyal Womble had a drug store where the children’s shop is now located. Then later he moved to the corner where Latham’s Shoe Store is now. The teenagers used to “hang out and frequent” there. I never knew Mr. Womble to be upset or angered at any of us. I am sure he must have us thrown out sometimes. He was one nice man to put up with so many of us.

I REMEMBER WHEN I was small and going to Mr. Ernest Arps Drug Store and eating ice-cream out of a stainless steel dish. I thought that was big!

I REMEMBER WHEN I was older and would get those old-fashioned ice-cream sandwiches.

I REMEMBER WHEN the Plymouth Town Hall was located in the center off Water Street and a meat market was beside it. Upstairs was a meeting hall where Mrs. Laura Johnston used to have her piano recitals. I took lessons from her.

Home Demonstration members in many North Carolina counties collected reminiscences like this one to mark the 75th anniversary of the Agricultural Extension Service. If you are interested in stories from your county, contact your local Extension Center or the historical society.

4 comments:

  1. too bad, it was more about Plymouth than Wenona where my great aunt Sissy and her husband ran the post office behind their house in the 1940's. The house and farm was located where rte 99 intersected a canal and an old Norfolk & southern abandoned railroad bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the stories of Wenona. My family the Williams family.My grandmother Irene Williams. My dad Wiley Radcliff was raised there in the 1920s with many Aunt's, Uncle's, and cousins on Canal A . They all had wonderful stories to share at family reunions. After WW2 around 1950 my dad, mom ,sister moved back to Wenona. He ran a store and farm where I was born in 1956. A few years later we moved to Va.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandmama, Alice J. Lee, owned Mrs. Lee's Cafe in Pantego. Every night after we closed, we would drive one of the waitresses home to Wenona. We always said we were "going up Pungo". It was the darkest, straightest road,
    and as a child I would often be nervous with those ditches on either side and always on guard for a deer or bear to jump out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I am wrong about the road from Pantego to Wenona being so straight. I think that's the part of the road from Wenona to Plymouth that is such a straight shot. Glenna Kemp

    ReplyDelete