Found online at http://www.superpages.com/bp/Columbus-NC/County-of-Polk-Public-Library-L0501516182.htm
The Polk County Home Demonstration Clubs (now Extension Homemakers) and their County Council were the chief workers behind the formation of the Polk County Public Library and bookmobile.
For many years the club women had talked of the need for a county-wide library service, but it had never materialized. In 1950 a Columbus library was started under sponsorship of the Outlook Club with members J.C. Christopher, J.A. Feagan, C.O. Feagan, Ray Leopard, J.J. Rezat, Velma Swain, Grace Walker, H.E. Walker and James Vinson providing the leadership.
Other members of Columbus Garden, Dogwood Garden, and Home Demonstration clubs joined in the effort to establish library service for Columbus and surrounding areas.
Composed of approximately 4,000 square feet for public service and staff, the building presently houses 27,000 volumes and provides garage and working space for the bookmobile program. In recent years the library has averaged a circulation of 85,000 books to its 13,000 citizens and has provided films and other services comparable with other libraries of its size. The library has an active Friends group which contributes over 1,500 hours annually in service at the circulation desk and in the performance of other routines. Approximately 600 new borrowers have been added each year for the past several years.