By Marzetta Moore, as published in the Jan.-March 1986 issue of Tar Heel Homemakers
Martin County Extension Homemakers Association clubs were started around 1918 as canning clubs and later were called Home Demonstration Clubs.
With many changes through the years, county clubs still support the infirmary at Jamesville School and the BMM Youth Shelter in Jamesville.
Williams EH Club, one of the oldest in the county and the oldest club of black members, supports these and other county projects. Members celebrated their 50th anniversary in October, 1985.
Three charter members of the club recognized at the anniversary program are Marie (Mrs. Jasper) Smith, Leda (Mrs. George) Duggins and Elenora (Mrs. John T.) Jones.
Mrs. Reo Mayo Jones, a member who had been ill for a number of years and who died in October 1985, was one of the founders of the club when it was called Bethlehem Home Demonstration Club. It was organized by Mrs. Cleopatra Tyner, the first black agent in Martin County, in 1935.
As a special project of the 50th anniversary, members purchased copies of the book And That’s The Way It Was—1920-1960, the 60-year history of Extension Homemakers in North Carolina, and donated it to Mary S. Gray Library and the Martin County Library in Williamston.
Four members, Beulah Bennett, Josephine Rogerson, Nellie Harrison and Ila Parker, attended the State Council meeting in October in Raleigh.
During the summer, Williams E.H. worked on making pillows, putting up pickles and quilting. One August day for 12 exciting hours, we took our annual trip—this year to the North Carolina Zoo at Asheboro with our families and guests.