Sunday, March 10, 2013

NC 4-H'ers Write About Favorite Projects, 1943

Progressive Farmer had young people write about their favorite project. First prize among girls’ letters, $5 in war stamps, went to Betty Peek of Macon County. Here is her winning letter along with others from North Carolina printed in the magazine’s March 1943 issue.
Last year when our 4-H club was organized, I chose gardening and food preservation as projects. Mother enlarged our garden to twice its original size and gave me half—100 x 40 feet. I grew 58 varieties of vegetables, including African squash and edible soybean. I saved seeds from many of the varieties grown and had a nice supply of squash, cabbage, and root crops for storing. I grew my garden to help the family food supply and for the local markets, thereby releasing commercial foods for our Army and allies. My total profits above all costs, and including the value of vegetables used at home, were $96.51.
  --Betty Peek, Macon County
-=-
One of Dad’s O.I.C. sows had 2 more pigs than she could care for, so being tins and trying to select our 4-H project, we decided to try raising the runts which weighed 1 ½ pounds each. Buttermilk and bread seemed to be a perfect diet for them. We have them every bite they could eat and a good bath each day, which made their coats as white as snow. It was fun to see our twin pigs grazing in our yard with red ribbons around their necks. When they were 5 months old we penned them up as they were so fat we were afraid they would get hurt. When they were 5 ½ months old, we sold them for over $50.
   --Martha and Margaret Whitmire, Transylvania County
-=-
My best project is trying to help Uncle Sam win this war. I have gathered scrap tin, metal, keys, and bought War Stamps.
   --Ethel Pearce, Northampton County
-=-
Wildlife conservation has been my favorite 4-H project. My brother began teaching me the names of trees before I started to school. I won a trip to the state wildlife conservation encampment. I have learned to identify a large number of shrubs, vines, wild flowers, and birds along with the insects, and this project may be the foundation for my career. During the winter days when I can’t be roaming the woods in search of specimens, I often read about trees, wildlife, birds, and insects. Money cannot buy these pleasures.
    --Laura Williamson, Wilson County
-=-
My most interesting club project is a Jersey calf. I raised her and now my cow is giving 4 gallons a day. I also have 500 White Leghorns.
      --John Clyde Cook, Lee County
-=-
Last year I was given a purebred female Tamworth pig for my 4-H project. I fed it scraps and milk at very little cost. In October I exhibited it at the Forsyth County Fair and won two $6 prizes and a $100 purebred registered calf. I will give one of my sow’s pigs to some other 4-H club boy. I also plan to exhibit the calf at Raleigh State Fair next fall.
    --Billy Ray Lasley, Chatham County

No comments:

Post a Comment