Thursday, November 5, 2015

Letters From Edward Hodges and Thomas Harmon, in France in WW I, 1918

“Letters From Our Soldier Boys,” from the Watauga Democrat, Sept. 26, 1918

Following are some extracts from a letter just received by Mrs. A.M. Hodges from her son Edward of Battery E., 113th F.A., now with the American Expeditionary Force in France:

“I am on the front. Can hear the big guns day and night. The shells are bursting all around. We sure are going to give those Germans what is coming to them. Don’t be uneasy as we are faring just fine. All the boys are in good heart—just raring to go all the time.

We are having fine weather. How is the weather at home? I hope you have the crops all taken care of. We have just had supper and had fresh mutton, and of course I didn’t eat much. You all cheer up and don’t worry. We are all faring fine.”

The following is from a letter received by Mr. and Mrs. Abel Harmon of Vilas, from their son Thomas of Company C, 324th Infantry, A.E.F.

“I am somewhere in France, and getting a little experience in Army life. We are staying with some old time French people. I don’t believe I can ever learn to speak French.

This sure is a pretty country. The people here are just harvesting their wheat and the crop is very good. How are the crops in Watauga this year? I hope they are good. I wish I was there to help ou eat honey. It sure would go good. We don’t do anything only hike. We went about five miles to the river and went bathing. I haven’t found any of the Watauga boys yet.”

No comments:

Post a Comment