Monday, October 29, 2018

Sgt. Harden Shares His News From the Front 'Somewhere in France', 1918

“Somewhere in France,” a letter home Sgt. Albert W. Harden, printed in The Alamance Gleaner, Oct. 31, 1918

September 21st, 1918
Dear Mama:

After wandering all over France we have at last landed on the front. Although this is not one of the real lively sectors, they shoot through just the same. Last night I watched a fight with an aeroplane, and several pieces of shrapnel fell around us.

I have been trying to find out Robert’s whereabouts ever since I have been over here, but do not find any one that has seen his Division, and information of that kind is very hard to get any way.

Night before last we hiked all night long through the cold rain. We had to make about 22 miles before daylight, so we had to hurry along regardless of the rain and mountains. It was some long, cold and wet trip, but only one man dropped out and was left behind, that was good for that bunch of men.

What do you think of the war news now? It still looks good to me. We have been fortunate in getting an American paper that is printed in Paris almost every night, and believe me we certainly enjoy it, too.

I have received one letter from you at this time, that is, besides the ones forwarded me from Camp Upton, although I am expecting some mail here, for we have been on the move, and all mail was sent ahead.

Tell Aunt Annie to be sure and write, for getting mail over here is like Christmas coming to a child. The boys don’t look forward to pay day like they do mail day, and another thing, getting a bath is just about as often as getting a letter, and both are very scarce.

This is a very beautiful country. I did not think it was near as pretty as England, but since I have traveled more and have seen more of France I like France better, and the people are much better to us, and try to help us all they can, although their help is very limited, as there are no people at home but women, children and old men, and it is wonderful the amount of laboring work the women do, but their method of work is so antique.

Maybe the next letter I write I will have more news to tell you, for we will be on relief by then. Write soon.

Love to all,
Segt. Albert W. Harden

No comments:

Post a Comment