Monday, December 17, 2018

Chas. Alston, Richard Bagby, Sidney High Write from France, 1918

From the Wilson Daily Times, Tuesday, Dec. 17, 1918

From Our Boys in France

Co. H 365 Infantry
Dear Mother:

I am glad to say that the war is over and I was on the line when it finished. The Lord was with me through it all, nothing has happened to me since I have been over here. None of the Wilson boys got wounded as far as I know. I have seen a good many of them since the war finished. I hope to be home soon. Remember me to all of my friends, please. God be with you until I see you.

I am writing just a note to let you know that I am well. I will write a letter soon. If we leave France before Xmas I will bring you and all the family a present. So continue to pray. I wish I could have been there at prayer meeting with you all after peace had been declared.

As ever, your son,
Chas. S. Alston

-=-

American P.O. 705
Nov. 19, 1918
Mr. James Dempsey Bullock, Wilson, N.C.
My Dear Mr. Bullock:

It was kind of you to write me and I appreciate the good things you had to say about the letter I wrote for the Daily Times.

It is a great privilege to be over here trying to do my duty in the great work which is being so successfully done. It has been nearly six months since I left “The Town to Die To,” but it does not seem that long because I have been busy and have enjoyed greatly my work.

Perhaps you would like to know some of the thrilling experiences through which I have been passing. About a month before the fighting ceased another “Y” Secretary and I were walking along a road through the woods when we unexpectedly came across a company of German soldiers coming down rapidly upon us. We were not armed for it is positively against army regulations for the “Y” men to carry even a pistol. To try to run was useless, so we went boldly forward to meet them. I am glad to be able to report that neither of us showed the least bit of fear. Really, there was no reason why we should, for the Germans were all prisoners of war who had been doing some construction work on the French railroad and were at that time on their way back to their pen for dinner.

I will have to confess that the only Germans I have seen since getting to France have been prisoners and with the exception of a distant roaring which I heard while on my way from Havre to Parris in July, the only sound of guns I have heard were that of the cannon upon the practice range of this camp. I tried to get to the front but evidently the powers that be thought I could render better service to my country by helping to keep the boys good and happy while being prepared to go to the fighting line. I hope the men who have made up the S.O.S. will at least receive some of the honor for their part in this mighty struggle. It is not their fault that they did not do any actual fighting. With scarcely an exception every man over here was not only willing but eager to go upon the front line.

Since the fighting has stopped there has been some restlessness among the men, which is easily accounted for. Up to that time the important thing was to prepare themselves for the great struggle. Now the all important question is: “When are we going home?” This condition of the work of the Y.M.C.A. is all the more important for you know the one great object of this organization is to keep the moral of the soldiers where it should be. Oh, how we all long to be home again but must be patient, our work is not yet ended on this side, and the task of getting so many men back across the Atlantic is a tremendous one.

During the past months a large number of North and South Carolina troops have passed through this camp and the way in which they have conducted themselves has made me feel all the more proud of the Old North State. I hear splendid reports from the soldiers from the south land who have been in action. It is safe to say that the reputation won by their ancestors as fighters has in no way suffered during this mighty conflict.

Hoping that our task over here may soon be accomplished and that we may in a short time be re-united with our friends and loved ones at home.

Yours faithfully,
Richard Bagby


-=-

The following letters are form Mr. Sidney High, somewhere in France, to his sister, Mrs. D.B. Jarrell.

Somewhere in France
Oct. 13
Dear Mamie:

Just a few lines today. I received your letter some time ago, but haven’t had time to answer any for we have been busy here lately driving the Huns back. I guess you have seen in the papers what our division has been doing. It has been in the papers over here so I guess it is published back in the States.

I have experienced real war lately and I must tell you it is no picnic.

The country we are going over now is the prettiest I have seen at all. The Germans have had it for four years and they have been carrying on farming. The villages and towns were not hurt, and when the Germans retreated they were so close pressed by the Yanks that they didn’t have time to tear down or demolish any building and we found everything just as they had left it. For instance, the other morning we were chasing the Germans and went by a farm house and looked, thought maybe some of the Boche had hid and might cause trouble later on. We saw some smoking coming from down in a cellar so we went down to investigate and we fund a fire still going in the stove, even the coffee was warm. There were two baked chickens, about 6 or 7 dozen eggs, homemade jelly, milk, cocoa, potatoes, turnips, cabbage and German bread. We were pressing the Germans so close that they had to leave all of this behind. It was real early and we had not eaten any breakfast so we fell in to cooking and eating Fritz’s food. There were just a few of us so we had plenty. I think I ate a dozen eggs or more before I quit. I had not eaten any eggs in about two month and they sure were good. I think Fritz knew we were eating his food for they sure did shell us all the time. Two shells hit the end of the building and tore it down but we were in the cellar and it did not damage us any, just shook us up a little. We never did stop eating. I sure did have some thrilling experiences. I was in three different buildings and the roof was knocked off by Fritz’s shells after I had been out just a few minutes, so I decided the Lord must have been with us. We would be in one building and the shells would fall pretty close then we would run out and get in another one close by, then the shells would hit the building and tear it down. I mean the one we had just evacuated. It happened three different times with me. I thought I had experienced some thrilling times back in North Carolina, but I deiced that I never had until I came over here, but don’t forget for a moment that they were doing all the fighting. We had them on the run all the time, driving them so fast sometimes that it was nearly impossible to keep up.

Well, the war situation looks better now than it has in a long time and I don’t think it will be long before it will be all over, and of course in our favor. Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina can well be proud of their sons for they have showed their mettle and fought like their forefathers did back in ’61.

I want to tell you about the French civilians that have been released from under German control in this drive. They had been under the Germans since August 1914. One night when they went to sleep the Germans were occupying their homes and property, the next morning when they awakened the Americans were there and the Germans had gone. You can imagine their surprise, but you may know they were glad to see us. One old French lady ran about and hugged a Yank, took some of the boys in her home and made them coffee and something to eat. Another old woman stood along the road with a bucket of water and filled the American canteens as they would pass all day long.

Well, I guess I must close for this time, will write again soon. Hope you are all well. I am in the best of health. Write to me often.

Your loving brother,
Sidney C. High

-=-


Somewhere in France
Nov. 2
Dear Sister:

Just a few lines today. Received your letter Nov. 1, yesterday, and was very glad indeed to hear from you. Also have received from Maggie and Mrs. Vann this week a letter. I like the kodak pictures you sent me, for I didn’t have a picture of any of you. Think it favors you all a great deal. Also think you look a lot fleshier than you did the last time I saw you in the spring of 1916. I would send you a picture of myself but am miles and miles form a photographer. I don’t know whether I am any heavier now than I was before leaving the U.S., for I have not weighed myself since I left N.Y. City lst May. At that time I weighed 155 pounds but I know I am a lot heavier now.

You spoke about the influenza being back in the States. Well, I was reading in a London paper the other day where the disease was all over the world.

Well, I guess everything is changed a great deal back in Franklin now; don’t guess I would hardly recognize some places now. Had a letter from Paul the other day. He talked like he was planning on being back home pretty soon. Well, I am not talking very much about going back so soon but nevertheless I can do some tall thinking all to myself.

It don’t pay to talk too much over here.

You spoke about sending a permit home and you would send me a package. Well, never worry about that. I don’t need anything now that I can’t buy over here. I sent a mailing card to Maggie abut two weeks ago. Each man over here is allowed one package for Xmas; the package must be mailed by Nov. 20. My card ought to be there by the 15.

You spoke about those papers you all were sending. I have never received any of them yet, but you know that is second class mail and it does not come as quick as letters. Guess I will get them some time. I got a magazine the other day that had been on the way about two months.

Well, we are still back in a rest camp and believe me I am getting plenty of sleep. I generally get about 10 hours every night, but am just catching up for that I have lost, while in the line, for up there is no such thing as sleep with Fritz’s shells and bullets howling like lost dogs all around a fellow and some times it is days and nights without any. I guess you know we are in the 2nd Army Corps U.S. and am sure you have already seen in near papers about what the good fighting the “fighting 30th Div.” has been doing of late, so it is no need to tell you anything about that. I guess the people around home are reading the casualty list pretty keen now since the home boys have got in the scrap. I have been pretty lucky, haven’t got a scratch yet but it does not pay and I’ll bet I sneezed 75 times before I quit. You know sneezing gas is very strong, one part of it in 10,000 parts of air will cause anyone to sneeze. The mustard gas is the worst of all, that gets on your clothes and eats through in 254 hours causing blisters to form all over the body, which is very painful, also blinds one for six weeks but the sight finally comes back, but our gas masks keep it off of us, it is a great thing, and nowadays Fritz’s gas does no harm whatever unless one is careless and don’t put on their mask. I don’t like Friz’s shells a bit, you can hear them coming several seconds before they hit the ground, therefore you have time to seek the cover or fall flat on the ground. Some of them are so heavy that when they hit the ground they dig a hole 5 or 6 feet deep and exploding causing dirt or shrapnel to fly all around. I have been close enough several times to get nearly covered up by the falling dirt. They sure do make a loud noise when they explode. When the air is full of them, one coming right behind another and they are hitting all around you it sure does get anyone’s nerve on edge for I have experienced it several times but our artillery gives Fritz 10 for every one they give us. One of the German prisoners told some of our fellows “You don’t know what a barrage is until you get over on our side and go through one that you all send over to us,” and I guess the poor fellow was right but believe me I don’t want to experience it. Heard a good joke the other day and must tell it, too. “The Germans sent over a lot of gas one night in the American sector down in Southern France, tried to gas the American out. A white division was holding down the line but during the night an American negro division relieved them. Next morning at daybreak the negroes went over the top and drove the Germans back.
Capturing a lot of prisoners they sent them back in the rear to a prisoners camp. Some of the English asked the Germans what they thought about the fighting the Americans did. The Germans said the Yanks were H---, said we gassed them all night until they turned black in the face and still they came over the top.” Pretty good, isn’t it?

Well, we are having some very mild weather over here for November, just about like old North Carolina climate. We had a big divisional field meet the other day, racing, boxing, etc., the whole division turned out to see it and it lasted all day.

Today was pay day so most of the boys will have a good time now until they go broke. Capt. Geo. L. Cooke of Franklinton is our paymaster now, guess you knew he had been promoted to Captain since coming over here.

Well, I can’t think of a thing of interest to write so will close for this time. Give my regards to all and write me often.

Lovingly, your brother,
Sidney C. High

No comments:

Post a Comment