Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Lt. Stevenson Writes From France, Recovering From Wounds and Flu, 1918

From the Hickory Daily Record, Dec. 18, 1918

Relatives of Lieut. Charles S. Stevenson have just received a letter from him, under date of November 24, in which he tells of his having been in the Argonne battle, some months ago, and of the injuries he received in actin there. The letter follows:

My dear Home Folks:

Well, after various and sundry happenings I am here—the Hotel D’Angleterre, Nice, France. I left the hospital last Friday, after having been there for more than eight long weeks. Have not written you for some time—in fact, the last time that I wrote you they were still fighting over here—now, it is all over, and we will have some peace for a while.

I am sorry that I did not get to see more action, but even then I saw some—something that you folks had not known. You thought I was in the hospital with pneumonia all those weeks. Well, I was, but I went there with a wounded hip and right leg obtained in the great battle of Argonne, where we went into action and were in a stiff fight. About the first and only thing I knew of it was when I received the injuries to my leg and hip, but I managed to scramble up in time to see a bunch of boches bite the dust around us, and hear hundreds of German bullets whistling over our heads. I was carried at once to the hospital where I later developed pneumonia and flu, I suppose. They kept me there for weeks, but I finally was dismissed last Friday, and came down here to recuperate. Guess you would hardly know me now, as when I was sick I lost more than 24 pounds of flesh, and am not looking much like myself, but am coming around just all right except for a bum hip and one sore lung. Am faring fine here, and by the time I leave I should be in great shape.

After leaving the hospital I had quite a trip getting here—came by Paris where I spent several days, and arrived just in time to help celebrate the end of the great world war. It was simply indescribable. I could not possibly write half of what I have seen, but will tell you all about it when I reach home. All the people seemed to be perfectly mad with joy over the end of the war. They literally picked us up and carried us about, and could not do enough for us Americans. It was wonderful and I cannot describe it until I get home. While in Paris I managed to visit the historical places, and shall never forget them as long as I live. Was slightly hampered on account of my game hip, but did not mind that so much. Also spent two days in Lyons, France, several days at Marseille and a day or two at Grenoble. The latter town is not far from Italy, and I am going down there for a short stay, so long as I am so near. While stationed in Langres I visited the Swiss frontier, so you see I am becoming some traveler, am I not?

Southern France is beautiful, with so many pretty villages here. This city is on the Mediterranean sea, and it stays quite warm here all winter. Things are so lovely here it reminds me of Florida, only is about 10 times prettier, and the longer I stay, the better I like it. Would love to stay a long time, but have only 15 more days here and will then return to my company, where I hope to receive a lot of mail and papers from back home. Am also anxious to be with my men, as they are such fine fellows in every way. They were fine to me while in the hospital and most of them walked a distance of four miles each day to see me, which I surely appreciated. I have post cards of all the interesting places of Paris, Lyons and those cities I have visited, which I will bring home with me, and will have something to show for my trip. So many wonderful things have happened in the past few weeks, I am almost dumbfounded, and it seems all a dream to me. There is intense excitement all over France, and it is all bewildering. It is a great life, and I want to tell you so many things when I see you.

When I first went to Lyons and was walking up the street one day imagine my surprise to meet Harold Shuford from home, whom I had not seen for about two years. Was certainly surprised and mighty glad to see him. You could have floored me with a feather, almost, and I think it was the same way with him. Stayed with him two days and found that he had a wound in the leg, just back of the knee, and was pretty badly smashed up. He is faring fine now, though, and hopes to return to the states real soon.

I am hoping to be home soon myself, and believe me, I cannot get there too soon. Guess you are all thinking about Christmas now and making great plans. Only wish I could be there, as I have been away several Christmases now but hope I will be there after this.

This letter should reach you just about Christmas, and will have to serve as my gift to you, as the risk is so great in sending things through, I think it best to bring them when I come.

Please remember me to all the Hickory people, and tell them I will be with them before a great while, if nothing prevents.

All the love in the world to you all, and my best wishes to everyone back home, and will let you hear from me again a little later.


No comments:

Post a Comment