Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Sidney High Writes of Experience in Battle, Dec. 3, 1918

“From a Soldier,” letter in The Wilson Times, Dec. 3, 1918

A letter from Mr. Sidney C. High, somewhere in France, to his cousin Miss Daisy Simpson:

Dear Daisy:

Your letter received a few days ago and was real glad to hear from you. Enjoyed your letter so much. It was very newsy, have been intending writing you for some time, but we have been at the front right in the thick of the scrap for the last month and I didn’t have time to write home. We are getting back now taking a good rest. Getting plenty of sleep and eats; in fact getting rest so as to go back in the fight later on, and believe me it sure feels good to be back here where the bullets and shells are not screaming over head. We sure did some hard fighting since September 29. We broke through the Hindenburg line and pushed the Germans back several miles, taking several towns and villages from the Germans liberating French civilians who had been under the German yoke since 1914, and you can imagine their joy and gladness on being free once again.

Daisy, war is awful, you can’t fully realize it until you are actually in it and see it. I have had bullets to hit so close by me that they would knock dirt on me. Shells bursting close by and digging holes in the ground 4x5 feet deep at the same time, just lifting me off the ground. The noise of the artillery nearly deafening, but we would push on and on driving the Germans back. Sometimes an enemy machine gun nest would hold us up and make things pretty hot for a while, but we would finally put them out of business and continue to advance. Of course it is dangerous, this war game, but a fellow feels like he hasn’t done his part until he has been in sure enough danger, and when you see dead and wounded laying all over the battle field it makes any one thank the Lord for coming out alive.

Believe me, it will change the worst sinner. But you never hear a grumble or kick from any of the boys, no matter how much hardship and danger they are in. Everybody tries to smile and keep things running smooth. Over here everybody is united together, maybe a farmer’s son stands in the trenches and goes over the top beside a millionaire’s son, such is the American army, and no task is too dangerous for the Yanks. They are all brave. I am so glad that I am over here in it, for I never would have felt satisfied back home if I hadn’t come over with the boys.

I have been over the top five times already. So if any one asks you have I been in a fight yet, you can tell them yes. I have been over seas now five months. One more month and I will be wearing a gold stripe on my left coat sleeve. We get one for every six months service over seas. Time goes by very fast now since we have got in the fight. I don’t guess Hubert’s division is in it yet, for I don’t guess they have completed their training yet.

Well I attended religious services this morning (Sunday). It was the first time in a long time. I generally go when I can, but for the last few Sundays I have been where I could not. Our chaplain conducted the services. We had singing and also band music. I have nearly got the blues. Think I will try to sleep a little in a few minutes to pass off the afternoon. Oh, my, don’t I wish I was back home this afternoon, talking to my girl. I sure could tell her something.  I wonder what you and ?? are doing this Sunday p.m. Have you started teaching yet?

Well, I wonder what for time you expecting Xmas. Only wish I could spend it at home. This will make the fourth Xmas that I have spent away from home, but I hope by the fifth one I will e back again to stay.

We are going to have an athletic meet in a few days. They provide amusements for us when we are out for a rest, so as to give us all the pleasure we can, for believe me pleasure is scarce when you are facing Fritz. There is going to be a show of some kind tonight for our benefit, but think I will go to sleep early and not go, for it takes me quite a while to catch up with the sleep I lost while at the front.

Well, Daisy, I must close for this time, will write you again soon, and write me often as you can. Give my love to Aunt Florence and all the rest. Think about you all every day.

Lovingly, your cousin,
Sidney

No comments:

Post a Comment