Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Chaplain Writes of Lt. Orin Sigmon's Death in France, Jan. 15, 1919

From the Hickory Daily Record, Jan. 15, 1919

Lt. Sigmon’s Chaplain Writes to His Sister

Mrs. F.P. Abernethy of Hickory has received under date of November 30 a letter from Chaplain E.B. Lush, 117th engineers 42d division, giving her more details on the death of Lieut. Orin M. Sigmon, brother of Mrs. Abernethy and of Mrs. George E. Weeks of Maysville. The letter which reflects more than the interest of an official may have in the death of a soldier—because the chaplain and the Hickory boy were warm friends—is as follows:

My dear Mrs. Abernethy:

You have received the sad and painful news of Orin’s death. I realize I can in no measure understand your feelings and the sorrow it has brought to your heart. Nevertheless I wish to express my deepest sympathy. Words are such an unsatisfactory and meager means of expression.

Lieutenant Sigmon was one of the finest men of the regiment. True, loyal, courageous, he won his promotion and as an officer he had that sympathy and close contact with his men that made him beloved. Whenever I visited his company he always put himself to especial pains to accord me a hearty welcome. The last Sunday of his life we had mess together in the evening and after a little preaching service for the boys he got my coat and stood by my horse and talked to me until I rode away. His fine manly character made him a true leader of men and his finished work is one you can take great pride in.

I hate to speak of his death. We expect hard and terrible things on the battlefield and become accustomed to them, but we did not anticipate such a tragedy on our move to another front. It is hard to tell how it happened. It was a collision in the night between the truck and a hospital train. Three were killed, Lt. Sigmon and two others. How any escaped death is a miracle. I arrived early in the morning and everything possible was done. Lt. SIgmon was killed instantly according to the report. 

He was buried with military honors in the cemetery at Ligny-en-Borois. You can be thankful his grave is so definitely located and well marked, for often those buried in the battlefield are in lonely graves and not plainly marked.

Lt. Sigmon made the great sacrifice for the country he loved and the principles he believed in. It was a God given task and he has entered into his eternal reward. We would have it different, but we submit to God’s will thanking him for such a fine life.

No comments:

Post a Comment