Monday, January 28, 2019

Corp. Sam Lee Writes of His Christmas and Drive Through Germany, Jan. 28, 1919

From The Monroe Journal, Tuesday, Jan. 28, 1919

Corp. Sam Lee Tells of His Trip Into Germany

The Scenery Through the Mountains of Germany Unusually Beautiful, But No Easy Job to Drive 5 ½ Ton Trucks Through Them

“Imagine us moving 200 loaded 5 ½ ton trucks over the mountains known as ‘German Switzerland’” says Corporal Sam Lee in a letter to his mother, Mrs. T.C. Lee. His letter is interesting as he tells something of his Christmas Day spent in Germany.

Motor Supply Train No. 413, A.P.O. 755
Mayen, Germany
Christmas Day
My Dear Mother:

I suppose you’ve decided long before now that the Germans had my number after all, but this is not the case and I am as well and as happy as can be. The only trouble is that it has been impossible for me to write before now. We have been on the move continually and such a move I’ve never seen. Imagine us moving 200 loaded 5 ½ ton trucks over the mountains known as German Switzerland. This is just what we were up against and you can not imagine the work it took over those roads. The whole of the German Army had just moved over the roads, followed closely by our doughboys and artillery. Now if the mountains of Switzerland have anything on the ones we crossed, I for one, do not care to see them. Then, too, when it was raining and sleeting every day, you can possibly imagine what we were up against with those loaded trucks when a skid may mean a drop of a mere thousand feet.

The scenery was beautiful but owing to the weather conditions and the work we had to do, I could naturally not enjoy it so much as if I’d been free. I had one little advantage over most of the fellows of being able to ride in a closed car with the officers. We had “beaucoup Francs” for the payroll and since I had it in our small field desk and had to keep a rather close eye upon it I put the desk in the car and had a good trip.

I’d like to write you a book and tell you all about where I’ve been in France and Germany, but it would take a book, so I’m going to wait until I come home to tell you all about it. Just this, I’ve been over the whole of the front from Luneville, which you will find just to the East of Nancy, to Verdun. I had my first excitement at Luneville, staying there for three days, and from there to a military camp just North of Toul. From there we went to Flirey. This is where we were on the 11th. On our way up we went by way of Verdun, Aumetz (Lorraine) Bettemburg, Luxembourg and from there over on the Moselle to Trier, Berncastle, over to the Rhine through Castellaun, Boppard, Corbelentz and are now in Mayen.

This is a nice little city of 2,500, and the people treat us all as kings. They can’t ever do enough for us. I have a room with gas light, stove and a large feather bed. Think I deserve it though, after all we’ve had to go through with for the last month and a half.

I have been able to get two or three letters and a paper or so and was sure glad to get them. You ask if I know anything about what our organization expects to do. Well, of course no one knows anything definite but we all know this much. We are attached to the Fourth Army Corps, which is composed of the First, Third, Fourth, 42nd (Rainbow) division. Now these are the oldest and best known divisions over here and if things go as they should they should be among the early arrivals. But anyway, when you see of those divisions coming home I’ll be with them and I don’t care much how soon it happens. We have been with these divisions ever since we came to the front and you know from their “rep” that we’ve seen the fun.

I want to stay until the thing is fixed for one and for all, but when that is done they can’t take me home too quick. I feel that I’ve done my best and have tried not to complain but I thank God on this Xmas day that from the looks of things now we will never have to do many things that we have willingly done. I feel that I’ve profited by my experiences in many ways but I’ve been through, seen and heard many things I hope I’ll never have to again.

Well, Mother, this is Christmas Day and naturally my thoughts lead me to my home. I wonder what all of you are doing today. It is very beautiful here today for the first time in a month I suppose. It snowed until about 5 o’clock this morning and about 7 the sun came out and it makes a beautiful sight. The snow is about a foot deep and the kids are all having the time of their lives. In a way I feel sorry for them. The lady I am staying with has three children, about 14, 11 and 9 years of age. Their father was killed or wounded and thrown into the field before his wounds healed causing his death. The mother is compelled to work to support them and it is pitiful. About all they live on is real dark bread and hardly enough at that. They have a good comfortable home and that is about all they do have. I did not have any money for Xmas but I borrowed a little from the Lieutenant and bought them some small toys. I took the car and went out for a small Christmas tree and fixed it up for them. I think they were just about the happiest kids in the world this morning. They nearly ran me crazy. Their mother was allowed a little extra bread and a little meat for Xmas and when dinner time came they came after me and would make me share their Xmas dinner. They had two or three English walnuts and a cookie or two on my plate, just as on their.

Oh, yes! I forgot to tell you that my box came yesterday and I thank you a thousand times for the good cake. It came through in fine shape and is just about the best I ever ate. I gave the kids and the mother a small piece and they nearly went crazy. At our kitchen we had apple dumplings, cake and cookies, mashed potatoes and roast beef for dinner, so you see I have had a happy Christmas. Hope all of you have had as happy.

This is certainly a beautiful country and especially the Rhine valley. Coblentz is a large city and has many interesting buildings and things of note.

With lots of love and good wishes to all, I am

Your son,
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment