Sunday, January 27, 2019

Letters from Our Soldiers, McComb, Bumgarner and Hawn, Received Jan. 27, 1919

From The Hickory Daily Record, Jan. 27, 1919

William McComb in Coblenz Hospital

Mr. Ellis H. McComb today received a letter from his son, Private William W. McComb, 17th field artillery, second division, announcing that he was in a hospital in Coblenz, Germany, recovering from injuries sustained in September when a big shell exploded. Private McComb will continue in the game and it was not until the American army reached Coblenz that he consulted a surgeon and was sent to a hospital. He said it would be about six months until he would be a civilian again. The letter today was the first his father had heard from him since October 31, and he was greatly relieved. The young man’s many friends will be interested in the news from him.

-=-

Pvt. E.L. Bumgarner Relates His Experiences

Mr. R.M. Blumgarner has received a letter from his son, Private Elvin L. Bumgarner, Co. A, 323 Infantry, 81st Division, under date of Dec. 28. Mrs. R.M. Bumgarner received one under date of December 29. The following is Mr. Bumgarner’s letter.

Grancey, France
Dec. 28, 1918
Dear Father:

Will now write you a few lines. I am now in the central part of France. Grancey S. Source is the name of the village. It is about 12 miles from Chation and about 30 kils from Chaumont. WLe hiked from Verdun here, about 275 kilos.

I left New York on the steam ship Empress of Asia, on the 31st day of July. We arrived at Liverpool, England, on August 11, at 2 o’clock p.m. From there we went by rail to Camp Doodley near South Hampton, where we took the steamship “Yale” and crossed the English channel, arriving at Havre, France, and were in an air rade the first night. We stayed there a few days and then went to southern France to a village named Comissery near Tonnerre. We stayed there four weeks taking hard training and from there we went to the trenches in Alsace-Lorraine section. We were in the St. Die sector in the Vosges mountains. This was a very quiet section. We were shelled lots and raided by air planes. Also we had to go on lots of patrols at night. We stayed there for about 29 days. We did not have much to eat and our work was hard as we were on guard three hours and off three. We didn’t get much sleep at that place.

I saw several German towns and helped capture about 250 German prisoners. From my post I could often hear the Germans talking. It was impossible to make an advance. This is the section where the French lost 100,000 men in the first part of the war and it was said that the streams ran with blood. From this section we hiked back to a rest camp near Rambervillers. We stayed there for two weeks taking hard training. This was the first town that I had been to in France. It was about the size of Salisbury. From there we went to the Verdun front. For 72 hours we had no sleep and were under heavy fire. We were on the section when the war ended. 

I have been well and God has blessed me with good health. Have had to take hikes lots. Will tell you about France when I come home. I expect to be home in February. Hope you are all well.

With love and best wishes, your son,
Elvin

-=-

Hickory Man Saw Last Day’s Fight in France

The following letter received by Mrs. C.R. Hawn of Drexel from her husband, Private Charles Robert Hawn, who is a member of Company C, 306th engineers, 81st Division, will be read with interest.

Nod, France
December 15, 1918
My dear wife:

Today is a rest day for us so I will endeavor to write you a letter. Today is Sunday. We don’t do anything on Sunday. The war is over. I guess you are glad to know the fighting has stopped, but not any gladder than I am.

We were on the front when the fighting stopped. We were on the front near two weeks. We made our first trip out on the battle field the morning of the 11th and the firing stopped at 11 o’clock that day.
Believe me, it was a warm time out there, while it lasted. Will tell you about it when I get back home.
We came from the front to this place called Nod. We were on the road 15 days. I made it fine, only my feet got rather sore. We have been here for two weeks, drilling back to squads right and left again. We only drill five hours a day. Saturday afternoon and Sunday off.

I don’t know how long we will have to stay over here yet. I am hoping it will not be long, as I am anxious to get back home now. I think I will be home by February. It seems like it has been several years since I saw you. Guess how much I weigh? I weighed this morning—152 pounds, and I haven’t been sick a day since I came over.

We are billeted in a French village. The people are very nice to us. I have never learned their language, though I get my sweet milk every day. You know I am so found of that. Getting along fine here. But I am anxious to get back to the good old U.S.A.

I received my Christmas package several days ago; it was real nice and in good condition. The chocolate was fine; that was the first real American chocolate I have eaten since I came over. We can get it at the Y.M.C.A., but not that kind. I also received the package of razor blades yesterday.
I have not seen Marshall or Ben for several weeks. They are in a different village.

The Germans failed to get me. I guess they had a grand celebration the 11th over there? I would like to have been in the midst.

I was very sorry to hear of Mrs. P.A. Miller’s death. That was too sad. I thought so much of her. She was loved by everybody who knew her. I see there have been quite a number of deaths over there. Be good and take good care of yourself until I get back. Trusting this finds you in the very best of health and enjoying life. Give the Hickory people my best regards. I must close now as it is time for supper.
With love,

-=-

Other News of Our Soldiers

Lieut. Ralph H. Ballew, after spending several days with his parents, left today for Charleston to rejoin his ship.

Mr. Vance E. Yount, a member of the 30th division, has arrived home. He telephoned his parents, Mr. and Mrs. L.G. Yount, the good news on Friday. The young man was in the big fighting in France and later was invalided home on account of illness.

The home guard will meet again tomorrow night after a recess due to the flu of several months. Captain Abernethy says it will be advisable for the men to be prepared to clean up the rifles again. The hour of meeting is 8 o’clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment