Friday, January 18, 2019

Tributes to Capt. John E. Ray Who Died in France, Jan. 17, 1919

From the Jackson County Journal, Sylva, N.C., Jan. 17, 1919

Tributes to Capt. John E. Ray

The following letters received by Mrs. Mary Brinson upon the death of her nephew, Capt. John E. Ray, from wounds received in action in France, show the deep regard which was felt for him by the officers and men of the 105th Field Signal Battalion, to which organization Capt. Ray belonged before being transferred to the 119th Infantry.

National Headquarters, American Red Cross
Dec. 3, 1918
My dear Mrs. Brinson:

Your brave nephew, Capt. John E. Ray, has given his all for his country and a grateful nation can never forget how much she owes him. I think that the enclosed letter is a very beautiful tribute to the qualities of this gallant soldier, and the example of a man like that lives on.

Capt. Ray was buried with full military honors. His grave is marked and will be reverently guarded. There is very little that I can add to this, but I wish there were something that it were possible to do to be of service to you. We owe an unpayable debt to a man like your nephew.

Sincerely yours,
William R. Castle Jr.

 -=-

France, Oct. 21, 1918
My dear Mrs. Brinson:

It is with the profoundest sorrow that I have just learned of the passing of your nephew, Capt. John R. Ray, and I am writing you, trusting that you will convey to the others in his family my sincerest sympathy.

Although Capt. Ray was with us only a short time, I think that I can safely say that he was known and loved by every man and officer in our organization as was no other of its members.
Capt. Ray was an officer who was most devoted to his office and to his profession; but first of all he was a kindly, gracious gentleman, and it was this that one for him the love of the men of this Battalion.

He was wounded about two weeks ago, while on duty at an advanced dressing station, and while we had learned that he had been taken to England, none of us had any idea that his wounds were dangerous until we learned today of his death.

I have known men to go out of the way to pass and salute Capt. Ray in order to receive a passing word or a pleasant smile from him, which would leave a bright place in the day.

A true gentleman has passed form among us, a hero has gone, but he will live long in the memory of the organization with which he came to France.

With deepest sympathy and kindest personal regards, my dear friend, I am,

Sincerely yours,
Dan Tompkins

No comments:

Post a Comment