Sunday, February 24, 2019

Eighth Grader Adelaide Chester Explains Why She Likes School, 1919

From the Hickory Daily Record, Feb. 3, 1919

Why I Like My School

First because my teacher is kind and takes an interest in us and wants us to do our best and become some kind of business men or women. Second, because in after life our education will help us along better in this rough and tumble world. Third, because I like figuring in every degree and most of all I like Latin, because it is a foreign language and is peculiar, mixed with our beautiful English language. I like history because it gives us the history of our most noble heroes, some of whom, like many of our brave boys of today, fell upon a bloody battlefield and some of whom were beheaded or murdered in some form. I like spelling because it learns us to spell correctly, so that we may not be ashamed of our letters which many, many of us write. I like English because it teaches us to speak correctly, punctuate and write letters correctly. I like the study of North Carolina because I want to know all that is possible about our state of North Carolina.

Adelaide Chester, 8th grade
West Hickory graded school

No comments:

Post a Comment