Saturday, February 9, 2019

Tench Edwards, Now In Germany, Writes Home, Feb. 7, 1919

From the Polk County News and Tryon Bee, Friday, February 7, 1919

American in Germany

Tench Edwards, one of the American soldiers stationed in Germany, recently wrote his mother, Mrs. A.A. Edwards, a letter in which he said:

I am in Germany now. Can’t tell how long I will be here. I am enjoying life as fine as any soldier over here. I was one of the first soldiers on the front and one of the last ones off. The First Division followed the Germans across the Rhine in November, 15 miles from Coblenz. I have been in lots of dangerous places. I have thought many times that every second I would have been blown into millions of pieces. Have been in places I had rather be dead than living. The war is about over now. The German soldiers say that the First Division has the best soldiers they run up against in all the war. They also said that the old First Division was what won the war. We certainly have made the Huns walk “Tarpin” in the last six months.


No comments:

Post a Comment