Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Last Words of Dr. Watt Ashcraft, Noted Veterinarian, Shared by His Brother, Oct. 14, 1919

From The Monroe Journal, Tuesday, Oct. 14, 1919

Remains of Dr. Ashcraft Laid to Rest Early Today. . . One of the Best Known Men in Union County Died Yesterday Morning After a Brave Fight for Health—Was Noted Veterinary Surgeon

Following an illness of several days, Dr. Watt Ashcraft, one of the best known citizens of Union county, died early yesterday morning in a Charlotte hospital. His death was not altogether unexpected, as the seriousness of his illness was generally known. When it was learned that he had passed away, however, there was profound sorrow on every hand, for he was a very popular man, numbering his friends among the hundreds.

An infected foot, resulting from diabetes, with which he had been suffering for some time, was the cause of his death. His affliction became more pronounced several days ago, and he was rushed to the hospital in hope that a recovery might be affected. For a time it was thought the attention of skilled physicians would prove effective, but on Friday he became worse. By Saturday it was realized that his death was only a matter of a short while, and his family rushed to Charlotte to be with him when the end came.

For some time before his death, though he knew the end was drawing near, Dr. Ashcraft was very composed, and faced death like a man, unafraid. His dying words were addressed to his brother, Mr. B.C. Ashcraft, who gave his statement, as follows in the last issue of the Enquirer, of which he is editor:

“’Clegg, I am dying. I wish that I could tell you the sensation of a dying man. It is a peculiar sensation. I am absolutely without pain, I have suffered, but all that is gone now, and I am at ease, perfectly so. I can feel death creeping over me, a numbing kind of feeling.’ The speaker was Dr. Watt Ashcraft, a brother of the writer, and the words in quotation were spoken yesterday morning as he and the one to whom they were spoken were alone in a hospital room in the city of Charlotte. The speaker was as composed as he would have been had he been discussing some matter of every day occurrence. And then the dying m an said: ‘Clegg, I have lived a clean life. I have treated every man white. You can tell the people down home that I said that and that I had tried to be of some service in my work. I have never charged any man more than the value of the service I gave him, and I have never taken a cent from any man I did not earn and I never even charged a man for my work who was unable to pay me and now I am quitting my work, wish that I could live longer, but the end is near, in fact death is at hand. I am not afraid of death. You may tell my friends that I said that I was not afraid to die, not a bit afraid, and that Watt went out of this life not afraid of what he would meet in another life.’

“It was a trying ordeal, that of a last farewell to a beloved brother, but is a consolation unspeakable that he met death as he did.”

After graduating from the Chicago Veterinary college in 198 (that’s what was printed…don’t know when he graduated), Dr. Ashcraft came back to his native section for the practice of his profession, in which he was very skilled. In fact, he ranked among the leading veterinary surgeons in this state, being called upon time and time again for advice by his fellow practitioners. In this county he did an enormous practice. It is doubtful if there is a rural home in this section but what he visited at one time in his life to minister to some sick animal.

The deceased was born at the home of his parents, Dr. and Mrs. J.B. Ashcraft, four miles east of Monroe, July 22, 1877, and was 42 years old at the time of his death. He is survived by his mother, his wife, who was Miss Viola Wilson of Baltimore before her marriage to him several years ago, four brothers, Messrs. B.C. Eugene, T.A. and J.C. Ashcraft, and one sister, Miss Effie Ashcraft.

Funeral services over the remains of Dr. Watt Ashcraft were conducted from the home of his mother at Rock Rest this morning at 10:30. Appropriate remarks were made by Rev. H.H. Jordan and Rev. S.L. Rotter, and interment was in the Bethel cemetery. The pall bearers were the four brothers of the deceased, Messrs. B.C., T.A., Eugene, and J.C. Ashcraft, a brother-in-law, Mr. Wilson of Baltimore, and Mr. J.C.M. Vann.

No comments:

Post a Comment