Pages

▼

Saturday, October 3, 2026

Cole Savage's Comments in "Personally" Column, Oct. 2, 1926

Personally

By Cole Savage

Last week’s cotton report estimated this year’s crop is 15,810,000 bales, wich is 644,000 bales more than the report released two weeks ago. Cotton promptly fell one cent per pound here. Farmers are very gloomy.

* * *

The Tunney-Dempsey fight last week held the wrapt attention of all sports lovers. I listened to it over the radio and was as tense and hushed as the most ardent boxing fan. More than 4 million ex-service men were made happy when Tunney upset the dope to win the championship.

* * *

Tragedy and comedy occur in everyday life. A few days ago, I saw a little brother trying to follow his big sister. She told him to go back but he would not. Whereupon she swung her foot towards him, slinging her slipper off and squarely into his face with a plop. He ran, yelling “Mamma,” and I could not help from laughing.

* * *

I had a cotton fertilizer test with a colored tenant this year. I told him I wanted to help him pick the cotton to get the correct weights. He thought I meant to take part of the cotton as toll, so when I arrived he had it already picked out and hauled away.

* * *

Louisburg’s tobacco market got off on the right foot and farmers are expecting it to continue to look out for their best interests. If this market will pay prices for tobacco in keeping with the other markets, the farmers will let it sell their tobacco, I feel sure.

* * *

Seen through my windshield:

Loaded cotton wagons on every road I travel.

Cotton pickers in every cotton field.

A cane mill making a year’s supply of syrup for the farm home.

A hay field with the sweet smell of new mown hay.

Two cotton pickers chunking bolls at each other.

Two dinner buckets hanging on the high end of a cotton weigh horse.

A cow tethered in a sweet potato patch.

A truck peddling apples through the country.

A persimmon tree full of puckering apples.

The cook picking a chicken before dinner. My mouth waters.

Six pairs silk hose hanging on a clothesline between a tenant’s house and his cotton patch. And he wonders why silk is costly and cotton is cheap.

One farmer taking two bales of cotton to the gin at once with two mules. The mules are hitched to one two-mule wagon behind which another two-mule wagon is tied. This farmer is saving one driver.

“Louisburg is 89 miles,” at the top of a mileage board in a filling station at Dunn.

Maypops by the hundred hanging on a wire fence.

A negro standing in the back door with his face in a rasher of watermelon.

Three dead pines with lightning strips on them.

A watermelon rind in the middle of the highway. Wonder if I can hit it. I missed it and almost got the ditch while looking back.

From page 4 of the Franklin Times, Louisburg, N.C., Friday, October 1, 1926

newspapers.digitalnc.org/lccn/sn84020791/1926-10-01/ed-1/seq-4/

No comments:

Post a Comment