Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Halifax Farm Woman's Earnings Pay for College, Land, Furniture, Clothing, 1936

The Southern Planter magazine had a contest encouraging farm women to let them know how they made extra money. First place winner was Mrs. J.H. Lewis, Halifax County, N.C., who wrote that the “extra” money she had made was used to buy land, automobiles, furniture, clothing, and to send their three children to college. Mrs. Lewis won a $5 prize for her letter, which was published in The Southern Planter, December 1936 issue.

For many years, I have worked to make spending money and some for rainy days that are sure to come.

I drive 15 miles twice a week and sell milk, butter, eggs, chickens, vegetables, meat (pork) and anything we have on the farm that city people need. The products are prepared with care in order to please the customers. Often my customers tell friends about the things I sell and in that way I find more sales.

I sell chickens dressed and some dressed turkeys. Others are sold on foot. When we kill hogs I find ready sale for sausage, liver-pudding, souse, backbone, spare ribs, tender loins and other cuts of the meats.

The calves from my cows are sold for veal. I realize more profit from them at that size.

Fruits in summer and jellies, jams, preserves, pickles, dried fruits and all canned products I sell in winter.

I also bake cakes and sell them. One customer had me cook her turkey last Christmas and wants me to do it again this Christmas.

It is astonishing how much income farm women can realize from such things if they make an effort. During the recent economic strain, I managed to have a steady income which enabled us to tide over the depression without suffering for food or clothes. Fortunately, I don’t have to go to my husband for money. Since he is a farmer, I would often be disappointed.

The cash made by my work has been used to buy land, automobiles, furniture and other things for the home, as well as clothing that we could not have gotten otherwise. Each of our three children finished high school at the age of 17 and went on to college. The oldest graduated from college last June and is now teaching. The other two are sophomores in college and I am still “peddling.”

No comments:

Post a Comment