Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Readers’ Contributions to The Southern Planter, December 1938 Issue

Among all occupations, farming is my favorite. I was born on the farm, raised on the farm, and am now 58 years of age and am still on the farm. Why? Because I love it. I love my dogs, my garden, my cows, my chickens, my flowers and above all, the beautiful cotton, corn, tobacco, peanuts, clover, rye and all. If it wasn’t for the farmers, people couldn’t live, so we know that farming is the most important work.
                --Mrs. J.H. Butler, Ante, Virginia

Home used to be a place where people were born, where they lived and died, and from which they were buried. But what is the modern home?

To the average person, it is a place where one may sleep when there is nothing better to do; and a place to hang one’s extra suit—when it is not at the cleaners. No more family gatherings, home-cooked meals, or family circles. Meals are snatched from lunch counters, days are spent in an office, and evenings are spent everywhere—except in the home.

The home is the foundation of a country. Then what will be the result if modern home life continues along its present trend?
--S.F. Currie, Merry Point, Virginia

I have lived on a farm all my life and I thoroughly enjoy the country. I was a 4-H Club member as long as we had club work in the county. When I started to high school, I majored in vocational agriculture. I consider this subject just as valuable to me as English, history or mathematics. It taught me many valuable facts and ideas about farming, such as the importance of fertilizing and liming the soil, how to test the soil for lime and the main elements in fertilizers, the importance of rotating the crops, and how to conserve soil from erosion by planting cover crops and strip cropping, the importance of feeding a balanced ration to livestock instead of just corn.

One of the most important things Vocational Agriculture taught me was to keep accurate records on all crops and livestock to tell whether I made a profit or loss on them.

I think any boy living on a farm could not get better training in farming than through vocational agriculture taught in high schools. Every boy living on a farm, and especially those who expect to remain on the farm and make it their life’s work, should study vocational Agriculture in high school.

I was speechless when announced Star American Farmer in Kansas City this fall. Throughout my four years of high school, I had looked forward to obtaining the American farmer degree, but I never dreamed of obtaining the Star American Farmer award and the cash prize of $500.

I expect to use the money to finish paying for my tractor, make repairs on the home and buy a registered Holstein-Friesian bull calf.

I have obtained much valuable information from The Southern Planter concerning farming, especially form the Farm Management page entitled “Work for the Month.” I believe that if farmers would use this page and follow the advice given, there would be more successful farms in the South.
--Hunter Roy Greenlaw, King’s Highway, Fredericksburg, Virginia

No comments:

Post a Comment