Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Sisters Identify Young Man Killed on Highway as Boyd Edison, 17, Aug. 17, 1926

Identify Body of Youth Killed on Highway Saturday. . . Body Is That of Boyd Edison of Statesville, His Two Sisters Told Officers Monday Night. . . Stranger Gave the First Clue. . . Youth Had Been to High Point Seeking Work and Was Killed by Unknown Party on Highway

Salisbury, Aug. 17 (AP)—The body of the young white man held at a local undertaking establishment since shortly after midnight Saturday after the man was found dead in the middle of the Statesville-Salisbury road, five miles out of this city, was identified late last night as that of Boyd Edison of 936 Eighth Street, Statesville. Two sisters came to Salisbury last night and positively identified the body as that of their brother who they said was a little over 17 years old.

The clew to establishment of his identify came through a man at Lexington who came here and after looking at the remains said it was the same man he brought to Salisbury by auto Saturday night and he told him his name was Edison and that he lived at Statesville. The chief of police there was then communicated with and he located the Edisons there and two sisters at once came here. It was learned the man had been to High Point after a job. He was walking to Statesville when hit by an unknown car. His mother is living but his father is dead.

From the front page of the Concord Daily Tribune, Tuesday, Aug. 17, 1926

newspapers.digitalnc.org/lccn/sn92073201/1926-08-17/ed-1/seq-1/

Hoyle Sink to Inspect Convict Camps, State Institutions, Aug. 17, 1926

Sink to Examine the Convict Camps. . . Will Look Thoroughly into a Number of Applications for Pardon

Raleigh, Aug. 17 (AP)—Pardon Commissioner H. Hoyle Sink leaves here Wednesday, August 18th, for a tour of inspection of convict camps throughout the state. The commissioner estimates that the trip will take him one week or 10 days and he plans to look thoroughly into a number of applications for pardons from applicants in camps as far west as Bryson City.

While on the tour Mr. Sink plans to visit a number of other State institutions as secretary of the salary and wage commission.

The commissioner will make the trip by automobile and will complete a tour which he started several weeks ago when bad weather conditions forced him to return.

From the front page of the Concord Daily Tribune, Tuesday, Aug. 17, 1926

newspapers.digitalnc.org/lccn/sn92073201/1926-08-17/ed-1/seq-1/

Three Men, Two Convicted Murders, Escape from Convict Camp, Aug. 17, 1926

Three Men Escape from State Convict Camp

Raleigh, Aug. 17—Three prisoners, two of them up for murder and the other serving a life sentence for attacking, escaped from the prison camp near Durham last night, prison officials learned here this morning. The three men are negroes. No details of the escape are available.

From the front page of the Concord Daily Tribune, Tuesday, Aug. 17, 1926

newspapers.digitalnc.org/lccn/sn92073201/1926-08-17/ed-1/seq-1/

Robert Lee Baker, 7, In Hospital with Fractured Skull, Broken Leg, Aug. 17, 1926

High Point Child Hurt in Accident

High Point, N.C., Aug. 17 (AP)—Robert Lee Baker, aged 7, son of Mr. and Mrs. T. F. Baker, is in a local hospital suffering with a fractured skull and a broken leg resulting from being hit by an auto this morning driven by a Mr. Swaim, of Asheboro. The accident occurred on the Asheboro road, five miles south of this city. Reports indicate that no blame for the accident is attached to Mr. Swaim.

From the front page of the Concord Daily Tribune, Tuesday, Aug. 17, 1926

newspapers.digitalnc.org/lccn/sn92073201/1926-08-17/ed-1/seq-1/

Earl Cooper, Noted Auto Racer, to be Guest of Rotarians, Aug. 17, 1926

Earl Cooper to be in Concord Tomorrow . . . Noted Auto Racer Will be Guest of Rotarians at Their Weekly Meeting

Earl Cooper, noted knight of the roaring boards and “daddy” to many of the younger men in the racing game, will be a guest of the Concord Rotarians at their weekly meeting at Hotel Concord tomorrow.

G. L. Patterson, meeting chairman, attended the invitation to Cooper and any of the other drivers now in Charlotte, who could attend. He has been advised that Cooper will be on hand.

In addition to the famous driver the local Rotarians will have as their guests at the meeting C. W. Roberts, head of the North Carolina Motor Club and manager of the Charlotte Speedway for the sprint races to be held there this month.

Cooper has been in the racing game for many years and is one of the best known men in the profession. He is always in the money and has won one first and one second in the Charlotte race classics.

The driver will be invited to discuss some of his experiences while talking to the Rotarians, and of course any other subject that might occur to him will be heard with interest.

From the front page of the Concord Daily Tribune, Tuesday, Aug. 17, 1926

newspapers.digitalnc.org/lccn/sn92073201/1926-08-17/ed-1/seq-1/

Celebration of Virginia Dare on Roanoke Island Marks Highlight of Dare County Homecoming, Aug. 17, 1926

Dare County Homecoming Tomorrow. . . Great Celebration at Roanoke Island During Present Week

Indications are that the celebration of th 339th birthday anniversary of Virginia Dare tomorrow on Roanoke Island, the crowning day in an entire homecoming week for the Dare countians, will be bigger than was at first anticipated. The day has somehow seemed to grip the imagination of people all over the state and dozens of automobiles have passed through Raleigh yesterday and today bound for Elizabeth City and Manteo in order to be preset for the big day tomorrow, when Sir Esme Howard, British ambassador to the United States, will be the principal speaker of the day. Sir Esme will make the trip direct to Roanoke Island from Washington, aboard a cutter supplied by the United States Navy. His address—the only one of the day—is scheduled to begin at 11 o’clock. Music will be furished by the naval base band from Norfolk.

Thousands of reservations have been made at Elizabeth City, and indications are that the fleet of sound boats and harbor craft that has been mobilized there to transport the crowds of people across the sound to Roanoke Island will be taxed to capacity. Rail accommodations to Elizabeth City are also at a premium. The Chamber of Commerce in Elizabeth City is doing everything possible to contribute to the comfort and convenience of the thousands of visitors expected Wednesday and throughout the week.

The imagination and romance of the entire state and nation have been gripped by this celebration of the birthday anniversary of the first white child born on the shores of North America 399 years ago, and who so mysteriously disappeared shortly after her birth, along with the members of what is know to history as the “Lost Colony.” Just what became of the “Lost Colony” is still one of the unsolved riddles of history. It was more than 70 years after the birth of Virginia Dare before another attempt to colonize Roanoke Island was made.

Tomorrow’s celebration is to be on the site of old Fort Raleigh, where Sir Walter Raleigh founded the ”Lost Colony” and where Virginia Dare was born.

From the front page of the Concord Daily Tribune, Tuesday, Aug. 17, 1926

newspapers.digitalnc.org/lccn/sn92073201/1926-08-17/ed-1/seq-1/

Mecklenburg Cotton Mill to Resume Production After 4 Years as Mercury Mills, Aug. 17, 1926

Mecklenburg Mills Renamed “Mercury”. . . And Plant Idle for Nearly Four Years Will Resume Operations at North Charlotte

Charlotte, Aug. 16—The hum of industry at North Charlotte will be augmented soon with the equivalent of a new cotton mill.

According to a letter received by Postmaster A. T. Barkley from the Martel Mills, with headquarters at New York, the Mecklenburg Mill at North Charlotte is to resume opeations at once under the name of Mercury Mill.

The mill has been closed for nearly four years following financial difficulties.

A caretaker has had charge of the property all the while, so that the machinery is said to be in good condition and ready for instant operation.

The order for the revival of activity there will put into action 2,350 looms and 14,048 spindles. The resuming of operations will give employment fo about 250 people, it is expected.

From the front page of the Concord Daily Tribune, Tuesday, Aug. 17, 1926

newspapers.digitalnc.org/lccn/sn92073201/1926-08-17/ed-1/seq-1/