Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Teaching in a Rural One-Room School, 1916

February, 1916, The Southern Planter
Having taught in a big city system in another state, and now teaching in a one-room rural school in Virginia, the fact of the gross inequality in expenditure for the two types of schools has been deeply impressed upon my mind. The comparison, of necessity, cannot be entirely correct concerning Virginia schools, but it is correct in a general way. My marriage necessitates my living and teaching in a rural section. I am judging from that standpoint.
In my former situation, we had free textbooks, art supplies, free libraries in all schools, playground equipment, music teachers for all schools, school doctors and nurses, free treatment for eyes, free vaccination for smallpox and diphtheria, free kindergartens, and many other advantages too numerous to mention. My usual class averaged 30 to 35 students. As a contrast, I am now teaching 71 children at less than half my former salary. Many of the children do not have books; some have only a part of those required.
Next year some new buildings and more buses will alleviate the crowded conditions. But, we teachers, and especially those in rural sections, are working for more equality in school expenditure; better salaries, free textbooks, better libraries, which shall be free to all alike, a better school health program, and a sound teacher retirement system.
--Mrs. Margaret King, Ararat, Virginia

No comments:

Post a Comment