Saturday, February 16, 2013

Corn Club Boy's Letter to Editor, 1916

Letter to the Editor, February, 1916, The Southern Planter
Before I had time to thank Mr. Perry for my Corn Club pin, here comes along a card stating that I am to have the Southern Planter for a whole year. Gee! It’s nice to be a Corn Club boy. I know I shall get lots of help from your valuable paper and I wish to thank both you and Mr. Perry.
I would like to tell the Corn Club boys how to treat a hillside to conserve moisture and keep it from washing. With a two-horse plow, we open a deep furrow, throwing the dirt down the hill, forming trenches as furrows about 12 inches apart. We fill these trenches with any kind of litter, like leaves, stalks, etc. When the winter rains come, the water sinks into these trenches instead of washing down hill. After each rain we fill up any space that may have washed over. A little trouble, but it is worth while.
Best wishes for you, Mr. Perry, and the Corn Club boys.
--Burton White, Pittsylvania County, Virginia.

No comments:

Post a Comment