Friday, December 16, 2016

F.M. Yandle, How I Spent My Birthday, 1916

From the front page of the Monroe Journal, Dec. 15, 1916

On December 10, 1916, was my 57th birthday and was celebrated in such a way that I will never forget it. About 10 a.m. my good neighbors began coming in with well filled baskets and said they had come to spend the day with me until Sunday school time. I want to say to them that ihad never been my privilege to enjoy a birthday like this before. I can only say Good bless you all. I love the spirit that prompts such acts of kindness. Let us all, if we have flowers to give, give them to the living, for they do the dead no good.

After feasting on the good things prepared by my good neighbors, we all went to our church and engaged ourselves in a good Sabbath school. Our school hour is 2 p.m. and we would be glad for everyone to come and be with us in our school.

I am now 57 years old. I live in the house I was born and reared in. I have a right to know my neighbors, and can truthfully say that there is no better people living than my neighbors. In fact, I don’t think there are any better people in this world of ours than our own dear Union County folks. I have reached the topmost steps in life’s ladder and am on the downward slide.

I want to say to the noble boys and girls of our county when you have flowers to give them to your friends while they are living.

No comments:

Post a Comment