Friday, January 11, 2013

Mozelle Parker Recalls Growing Up in North Carolina, 1986

When Mozelle Parker began her year as state president of the North Carolina Extension Homemaker Association in 1986, she introduced herself in a column in the Jan.-March 1986 Tar Heel Homemakers. While much of the column talks about increasing membership, below is the section about her life, which I think people will find interesting.
I was born and reared in Cleveland County, the older daughter of the Reverend Joseph Wheeler Costner and Cora Lee Canley Costner of Lawndale and Fallston. I was graduated from the local schools and received my higher education at Gardner-Webb College, Appalachian State University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I taught school in Burke, Gaston, and Scotland counties before taking early retirement to devote more time to civic and community service.
I grew up on a farm and experienced the daily chores around a rural home and on the farm, with my sister and two brothers. One of the many blessings in my life was to have been reared in a home where we had “family worship” each evening. The church, school, and home were sacred institutions during my formative years and are still a part of my life.
It was while I was quite young that I first went with my mother to the Piedmont Home Demonstration Club meetings at Lawndale. I knew and could see at that early age that this was “something special” for the ladies. A few years later, home economics classes in high school had more meaning and added to the excitement of my youth.
While teaching in Gaston County, I met and married Wright Fletcher Parker (W.F.). He was an Extension agent in the county at that time and came to my school to lead the 4-H program. Seven years later, we moved to our new home in Scotland County, Gibson, N.C., where we joined in the farming business with his family—a brother and father.
We still live on the farm with cotton and soybeans all around us. I leave the farming to them while I enjoy working with flowers and vegetables during the warmer months. When cold weather comes I move to my green house with a variety of flowers and to the fireside with a multitude of crafts.
I have been an Extension Homemaker for more than 30 years. I have served in every area of work and offices in my local association and county council and many on the district level. During these years as an Extension Homemaker, I have continuously received a wealth of information and knowledge and in turn I have shared this with others. This has brought joy and satisfaction to me and I hope has helped to enrich the lives of other.

No comments:

Post a Comment