Thursday, December 17, 2015

Philip Fontaine of Roxboro Grows Havana Tobacco for Cigars in North Carolina, 1901

"Havana Tobacco in North Carolina” by J.M. Beatty from the Raleigh News and Observer, as reprinted in The Progressive Farmer, Dec. 3, 1901

Mr. Philip A. Fontaine Makes a Successful Experiment in Person

Mr. Philip A. Fontaine of Roxboro, who was a visitor in the city last week, is experimenting with the culture of Havana tobacco in this State to see if it can be successfully grown for the manufacture of cigars. Mr. Fontaine brought with him to Raleigh magnificent samples of Havana tobacco, which he grew on his farm near Roxboro. Tobacco manufacturers and experts pronounced its flavor and burning qualities superior to any domestic grown tobacco in this country.

“I believe that Havana tobacco can be grown as successfully in North Carolina as in Pennsylvania, Connecticut and foreign countries,” Mr. Fontaine declared. “I spent 10 months in Cuba and much time in Florida studying the culture of tobacco, with the view of growing this quality of tobacco in North Carolina.

"This year I have made about 400 pounds of Havana tobacco in Person county. The growth of the weed was the same as in Cuba. I secured my seed from Havana. I used a fertilizer composition with the view of developing flavor and burning qualities. It was my own composition and is based on a series of experiments.”

“My hope is that this fine grade of tobacco for the manufacture of cigars may be successfully grown in North Carolina, as I believe it can be. I shall endeavor to get the cooperation of the Board of Agriculture so as to bring the subject before the farmers of the State.”

No comments:

Post a Comment