Thursday, January 7, 2016

H.M. Daniel of Madison County Shares Advice on Farming, 1905

“Timely Notes from a Mountain Farmer” by H.M. Daniel, Madison County, N.C., from Progressive Farmer and Cotton Plant, January 3, 1905

I have been slow about reporting the results of my experiments with potatoes this year. Worse than that, I cannot report exactly, being so pushed in digging that I did not get an accurate measure of the two tracts.

Exactly half of an excellent piece of land was planted in hills three feet apart each way; the other half was drilled eighteen inches apart in rows three and a half feet apart. Each part was cultivated exactly the same save that the check rowed end was plowed cross way twice and had more fertilizer than the drilled end.

We dug the rows through the long way, so did not keep the two parts separate, but made several tests that showed the difference in yield. One row produced a bushel and a peck on the hill planted half, while the drilled planted made three bushels and a half. Against this, seven rows that were of Michigan seed. The drill planted was native seed, while the hill planted was also Michigan seed. Other tests did not show quite so large an advantage in favor of drill planting, but all showed over twice the potatoes to the ground. But twice is enough.

The hill planted did show slightly smaller per cent of small potatoes, but I include to think that was partly due to the fact that the seed on the hill planted end was uniformly large. On the other mixed, from very large to very small.

The four acres made a little over 400 bushels. Of this seven rows made 70 bushels. Of the remainder I know I will not miss it five bushels when I say that one-half in hills made 100 bushels, while the other half in drills made 230. I shall make no more experiments with check row planting.

I am very thankful to the venerable Brother Watts of South Carolina for his advice about seeding clover. I am fully convinced that he is right. I have some clover seeded on wheat that is good, but his plan is sure.

I had a small tract of sorghum this year that opened my eyes to the possibilities of that crop. I shall never attempt to farm and feed stock again without it. I drilled it early but too deep. Did not get a stand. Prepared the ground thoroughly, fertilized heavily and redrilled quite late. The seed heads began to ripen the last days of August and I commenced feeding them. Have had 20 head of cattle and about as many hogs on it from then until now. Fed it green until near frost; then cut it up and shocked it. Have been feeding a shock a day ever since and have about 20 shocks left. They still clean it up and do as well on it as I ever had stock do. I want nothing better to carry stock over that difficult period between pasture and feeding.

Our corn crop is excellent all over, but by far the best corn we have was grown on a little mountain field of third year land that is as steep as an ordinary house roof. By good care such land can be kept producing well for years. Too commonly it is kept in corn as long as it will make corn; by that time it begins to wash and is worthless, as such land generally cannot be manured except with green crops.

I have been very busy of late trying to prepare shelter for all my stock and implements. It will never pay to let either lay out.

We built at very small expense a shop 18x24 feet in which I store all our tools and have room to operate the tread power and feed mill. The same power that drove our thresher so successfully is still employed driving a small feed mill with which we are crushing and grinding our feed and on one day each week grind for the neighbors.

It makes good sweet meal and with a simple bolting attachment I am able to produce from clean wheat a splendid Graham flour than which is no healthier and better breadstuff ever existed. I can grind from four to six bushels per hour with two light horses. The mill cost about $35.

For cattle shelter I added a shed to the fourth side of our old tobacco barn, already shedded on three sides. Divided one of the old sheds into stalls for horses, another for cows with young calves. Have three fresh cows now to help our winter milk supply.

I was interested in the plan for cow shed which recently appeared in yuour paper. A cow palace with all modern conveniences, it might also be called. In a 12-foot shed I put a cow to every four feet. (All dehorned.) Have a broad trough and milk with their heads in staunchions, then turn them loose and fill same trough with hay or fodder and let them eat as they will. Keep shed well littered and take up droppings each morning. Have found this a most satisfactory plan.

            --H.M. Daniel, Madison County, N.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment