Sunday, December 31, 2017

Joe Hall, Leading Apple Grower of Western N.C., Reviews 1901 Crop

“What Mr. Joe E. Hall of Waynesville Has to Say About the Crop This Year,” from the Charlotte Observer, as reprinted in The Progressive Farmer, Dec. 3, 1901

Mr. Joe E. Hall of Waynesville is one of the leading apple growers of western North Carolina. He has 75 acres in one orchard near Waynesville. Through the kindness of Mr. F.A. Hall, his brother, I had an opportunity to call on Mr. Joe Hall at his home. His farm contains 170 acres and his chief crop is the apple. From the orchard of 75 acres he sold $4,000 worth of apples last year. He began to set out the first trees about 15 years ago.

Mr. Hall is a very interesting talker on the subject of apples. Among other thing he said:

“The apple crop over the entire country is a failure this year. For the first time in 10 years I have missed. The average crop of this country is 45,000,000 to 48,000,000 bushels. This year the yield will not be over 25,000,000.

“In gathering my apples I sort them into three grades—firsts, seconds and thirds. After pulling them from the trees I put them in barrels, which I pack away in the apple house until the price justifies a sale. The best time to gather is from the 20th of September to the 10th of October.

“The picking is done by small boys. All care possible is taken not to bruise the fruit.

“I cultivate my trees. In the spring and early summer months I plow the ground with a shallow harrow and then sow in peas in July. The apples are larger and more bountiful when cultivated, but the sod ground makes an apple that will keep better. I cannot explain why these facts are so. But cultivate the ground and the yield is more certain and more prolific and the fruit large, but more apt to rot.

“I have trees on all four sides of the hills—east, west, south and north.

“My best apples are the Ben Davis, Winesaps, Newton Pippins, York Imperials, Missouri Pippins, Hoovers and Smith Ciders. I have other varieties in small numbers.

“Twenty-seven out of the 75 acres are bearing now and more coming in every year. The present bearing capacity of the orchard is 5,000 or 6,000 bushels, and will be 20,000 or 25,000 in five years. Last year I sold about 4,000 bushels and the year previous 1,500.”

Mr. Hall is well located and his modern improvements. His houses are good and the lay of his land convenient.

Waynesville is in the heart of a good apple section. It was just out of town that the late Mr. Geo. E. Boggs lived and grew his fine apples. His widow has had charge of the orchard since his death.


No comments:

Post a Comment