Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Woman Held Six Years as Slave in San Francisco Is Now In City Prison, August, 1920

From the front page of The Hickory Daily Record, August 4, 1920

Chinese Girl Prisoner in San Francisco House

By the Associated Press

Shuffling homeward through the fog in Chinatown the other night, a Chinese youth noticed a piece of white paper flutter through a circle of light from a street lamp and fall to the pavement. He picked it up and read its message, in Chinese characters:

"I am a slave girl. I wish to get away from my cruel masters. I have been kept a prisoner six years on the fourth floor of 1115 Stockton street. My name is Loi Mui. I was brought here from China when I was a little girl. I have a friend who sais if I can send word to the man who passes in blue clothes with a star they will help me. I want to go back to China. Please help me."

The young oriental to whom the note had fallen happened to be American-born. He knew that it was dangerous to interfere with the girl's captors and to inform might mean death for him and his family. He went to the hall of justice with the note and his name will never be known to anyone by the police.

The girl is held in the city prison while federal officers investigate her story. She may be deported. She says she was sold as a slave in China when she was 12 years old and brought to this country afterwards. Detectives say she was held by the Hop Sing tong, one of the strongest factions of Chinatown.

No comments:

Post a Comment