Saturday, August 11, 2018
Parked Car Catches Fire; Jonathan Bass Loses Building, Tobacco, Corn, Wagon, 1918
“Loss By Fire,” in The Daily Times, Wilson, N.C., August 12, 1918
Last night late Mr. Jonathan Bass, who lives about eight miles from Wilson between Lucama and Black Creek, after arriving home from Wilson in his car and after putting up the machine and feeding his stock went into the house only to ascertain in a few moments that his garage was on fire from his machine which has caught and soon the building was enveloped in flame. Included in the loss were 2,500 pounds of tobacco, eight barrels of corn, a Ford automobile and a pack house. There were 35 bushels of wheat, a buggy, and one wagon. The loss was about $5,000 without insurance. The fire originated from the automobile, the generator being in bad shape.