Saturday, July 2, 2011

Putting Up Food From Halifax and Cumberland Gardens, 1942

Written by Ruth Current, North Carolina State Home Demonstration Agent, and published in the September and October 1942 issues of The Southern Planter
Seven Day Work Week
An extra day to the week could be used by Mrs. L.M. Butts, president of the Halifax County Council of Home Demonstration Clubs, who writes:
“Since canning season has been in full swing, I wish often for an extra day to the week. Then maybe I could finish up before dark. Right now it is 11 p.m. I’m cooling off on my porch, while my steam pressure canner is doing the same thing in the kitchen. As soon as the pressure gauge hits the zero mark, 23 cans jars of corn and squash will come out. Besides this canning today, I have prepared dinner for 12 farm hands. Yesterday I made 49 quarts of soup mixture.
“With our increased garden, my canning will be about double the 400 or 500 I usually have. Although that much food isn’t necessary for my family of four, this food must not go to waste. During these next weeks, my days will continue to be full with extra canning, house work to do, Thursday afternoons and full days on Friday and Saturday for the curb market, and keeping my family cared for.
Lending Canners Left and Right
“If only I had 50 steam pressure canners in my office instead of 10,” writes Elizabeth Gainey, Cumberland County home demonstration agent. “Folks are lending their canners right and left to help out. One real dirt farmer came to my office this afternoon for a canner. He said, ‘If we don’t can, we may not have as much food another year.’
And we may not. If jars are full, start now to dry. Dried corn, late beans and peas will come in might good this winter. Here’s a tip on apples: Apple butter made with the peelings on takes less sugar and the flavor is delicious. Take out the core, grind the apples in a food chopper, save the juice and cook it just as always. The peelings make apple butter stiffer and more jelly-like.

No comments:

Post a Comment