Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thankful Home Demonstration Club Members, 1940

From “Miss Current’s Column” in the November, 1940, issue of The Southern Planter. Ruth Current was North Carolina’s State Home Agent.
It is only a few days until Thanksgiving, a day known and looked forward to by most Americans as a feast day. Do you not agree with me, however, that we should see a bigger appreciation, a deeper significance and more heartfelt thankfulness for God’ goodness? This year, of all years, we have much for which to be thankful.
Thanksgiving is a time for taking inventory, a time for asking ourselves a list of questions such as these. Am I taking advantage of all the resources that I have? Am I a good neighbor? Do I cooperate with the school, the church, the (home demonstration) club? Do I do my part? Do I gossip and say unkind things? Do I value and use my time to the best advantage? Do I have faith and believe in people? What has happened this year that I can rejoice over?
I would like to see “thankful” parties held in every community in North Carolina the month of November. In the Southeastern District under the direction of Mrs. Estelle T Smith, district home agent, Harvest Festivals are being planned with a recreation program in which every person can have a part.
COMMUNITY ACTIVITES              
More and more rural women are finding afternoon teas a gracious and simple way of entertaining. Now that we are well into fall, our 100 and more home demonstration community club houses are being used. I shall be able always to recall that lovely Christmas tea given at the Halifax Community House three years ago on their Achievement Day, with its lovely candles, its holly and cedar used in artistic decoration.
“All clubs in the County substituted an afternoon tea for one of their club meetings this year,” reported Grace Holcomb, Rockingham County home agent. “I consider these a direct result of the demonstration, ‘Entertaining in the Home,’ which was given early in the year.”
“The Midway-Monroeton Club invited all of the women in the community to their tea and held it in place of a regular club meeting. Punch was served from a large wooden bowl, using a small gourd dipper. Homemade cookies were passed on large wooden platters.”
HEN PARTY IN NASH COUNTY
A big fat hen was the admission ticket to the joint club party recently held in Red Oak Club House in Nash County. The hens (tickets) were collected the door by Mrs. Dana Braswell and Miss Temple Vaughan McIntyre and will be sold, the proceeds to be added to the club treasury. Many interesting games were played, having been directed by Misses Ellen McIntyre and Iberia Roach, assistant home agent. A chicken contest was conducted and the prize went to Miss Mary Hackney for her chicken intelligence. Punch and cake were served by Mrs. Claude Deans and Mrs. George May.

No comments:

Post a Comment