Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Bea Griffin and Marie Evans in 'Special Memories'

 “Sleep Walker or Not” by Bea Griffin as printed in Special Memories: A collection of stories by Chowan County Extension Homemakers

When I was 11 or 12 years old my mother made me a pretty new dress of blue and white gingham with a white peter pan collar. After 50-some years I can still see it. Looking forward to wearing it to school the next day, I carefully pressed it with the old flat iron, then hung it on the back of a chair in the bedroom we three girls shared.

When I awoke all excited the next morning and reached for my dress it had disappeared overnight. Knowing my sister Delsie was a sleep walker, I pulled the covers from her, and sure enough, there she lay with my pretty new dress all wrinkled.

So really, was she sleep walking or was it jealousy? I guess I’ll never know. You be the judge.

-=-
“Remembrances” by Marie Evans as printed in Special Memories: A collection of stories by Chowan County Extension Homemakers

I remember going out to the barn in the cold to milk the cow. And making butter by shaking the cream in a fruit jar.


I remember picking cotton in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment