Monday, February 24, 2020

J.G. Thorne Describes HIs Family's Struggle With Flu, Feb. 24, 1920

From The Daily Times, Wilson, N.C., Feb. 24, 1920

Anything to Get Us out of This Old Grouchy Groove

By J.G. Thorne

I have suffered from an attack of the “flu.” In our home we had four in bed for three weeks, perfectly helpless. My mother was the only help we could get to come to our assistance. She stayed with us until she lost the use of her left arm and hand. There we were, but we have all pulled through, thank the Lord.

Now I have a son, 13 years old. He has recovered and is doing me lots of good by helping with the cooking. I have tried; I can’t hire any one to help us. My wife and daughter are still suffering from the disease and not able to do any work.

Now if the movies open up again, I think it best to keep mine at home for a while. I want them to open as early as possible for the benefit of the proprietors who are conducting those shows for a living, but I will keep mine hope for a while yet. Also from school until the “flu” is more settle in Wilson.

(The rest of the article was torn and can’t be read.)

No comments:

Post a Comment