Thursday, January 28, 2021

Union County Farmers and Their Cows Love Lespedeza in Pastures, Jan. 28, 1921

It is not too late for Union county farmers to get in their order for lespedeza seed,” Mr. T.J.W. Broom, the county agent, said yesterday. “More than 200 bushels of these seed have already been sold in this county for spring seeding. Mr. J.I. Griffin of Goose Creek township, in placing his order for eight bushels of lespedeza seed said ‘It is the best and cheapest crop I have ever grown for improving the land and for pasture.” Mr. A.B. Austin, of the same township, said in placing his order for five bushels of seed: ‘It is the least expensive crop I have ever grown and the best for soil improvement and for pasture.’ Mr. Thos. Evans of Wingate says: ‘Get me another bushel of lespedeza for my patch. I sowed a bushel on an acre last spring for my cow, and after frost this fall I scattered the land and sowed to rye for spring grazing. I think that it will reseed itself but I cannot afford to take any chances. The acre will feed my cow all summer and fall.’ I drove into the yard of Mr. W.T. Simpson of New Salem township, a few days ago. Mr. Simpson was not at home, but his wife informed me that they wanted six bushels of lespedeza seed. ‘Just look at my cows and see how sleek and fat they are. They are eating lespedeza hay and it is the best hay we have ver fed.’ If you have any doubts about it ask any farmer who has had experience with this crop.” (From The Monroe Journal, Friday, Jan. 28, 1921)

No comments:

Post a Comment