Thursday, April 25, 2024

Selders' Weekly Forced to Sell Out, Says A. Selders, April 25, 1924

Forced to Sell Out for Want of Proper Backing

During the past year several people have wanted to buy Senders’ Weekly, Newpaper and Job Plant. The plant was not for sale then. However, it was not then nor has it ever been a paying investment, owing to several reasons which we might mention, but we abstain from particularizing.

We have been in hopes that matters would right themselves and that things would “look up,” but not so. We have done our best to give the people their full money’s worth, both in the newspaper and job work. The latter has been good and we had to use what we made off from the job work to keep up the paper. It has been a great annoyance to us and also worry and that is worse now as my aid in that has given up the job.

Several years ago I hired an old colored woman to do my worrying at FIVE dollars a year. She did a good job and took all the worry off my shoulders but the unforeseen happened. She died, and since then I have had to do my own worrying and that adds an extra load to my duties.

The plant has been sold to the Stanly Republican. However, the local news will bhe looked after the same as usual. All advertising contracts and subscriptions will be taken care of by the new company.

I will devote the most of my time in special writing. The only part of the newspaper business I care about.

A new serial will be started in the first paper issued by the new company.

It will be of interest to a great many as it will take up Southern life with its many idiosyncrasies with a love story combined.

My stay in Rockingham has been very pleasant and I have made some warm friends as well as some who are not. Any man who has a bit of personality does that or else he does not amount to much.

I will have to oversee the dismantling and re-installing of the plant.

All claims against Selders’ Weekly or A. Selders will be paid by him and all accounts owing to the Newspaper should be paid to him as soon as possible, as we wish to have a clean slate as we go hence.

--A. Selders

From the front page of Selders’ Weekly, Rockingham, N.C., April 25, 1924. The Press—The “Tongue” of the Country; May It Never Be Cut Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment