Sunday, June 25, 2017

Local News from the Erwin Chatter, a Monthly Newspaper for Employees of Erwin Cotton Mills, June, 1945

The Erwin Chatter, monthly newspaper for the employees of Erwin Cotton Mills, June, 1945 issue. This issue has many photographs of service men and women. Everyone listed at the beginning, before “Deaths Reported,” has a photo.
Flora Watkins Stephenson, SK 2/C, is stationed at Arlington, Va. She enlisted in the WAVES about two years ago and received her basic training at New York City. He was later transferred to Georgia. She is the wife of James. R. Stephenson of Erwin, who is now serving with the Ninth Army in Germany. Seaman Stephenson is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.A. Watkins of Erwin. She was employed in No. 5 Winding and Warping before joining the WAVES.
Her brother, Pfc. William A. Watkins is now recuperating in the hospital at Parris Island, S.C., as result of shock received in the Pacific area. He is a veteran of Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester and Pelila. He spent 26 months overseas, including a few months in Australia. Pfc. Watkins enlisted in the Marines Oct. 23, 1940, and received his basic training at Parris Island, S.C. He was later transferred to Quantico, Va., where he was stationed until he was sent overseas. Pfc. Watkins was employed in No. 5 Weave Room before Joining the Marines. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. W.A. Watkins of Erwin.
Miss Geneva McClannon entered the Cadet Nurse Corps September, 1944. Geneva is taking her training at York County Hospital in Rock Hill, S.C. Her brother Sinclair McClannon is now serving somewhere in the Pacific. He entered service in May, 1944. They are the children of Mr. and Mrs. W.S. McClannon, Spinning Room employees at Mill No. 3.
Charles Bean, S 2/C, a former Cloth Room employee, is now serving in the U.S. Navy where he enlisted in March, 1945.
Charlie Jordan spent a few days recently with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Adam Jordan. Charlie is in the Navy.
Miss Margaret Summers, Y 3/O, has been recently promoted to MA Technician and is stationed in Gainsville, Georgia, at present. Margaret is the youngest daughter of J.M. Summers, Cooleemee.
Lloyd Spillman, former Spinning Room employee, is with the Navy in the South Pacific. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. R.A. Spillman of Cooleemee.
L.G. Scott, coxswain, former Production Control employee, is serving with the Navy in the South Pacific. He has been in service almost two years.
Helen Gale Waller is the daughter of Helen P. Waller of the Protection Control office and Grier C. Waller, S 1/C, a Radar operator aboard an LSM somewhere in the Pacific. Gale will be three years old July 7th.
Lt. David E. Sigmon, a well-known Cooleemee boy, is now a Physical Training Instructor at Bainbridge, Md. Dave taught school prior to entering service but had from time to time also worked at Mill No. 3.
Pfc. Claude Beard, former Weave Room employee, has been in service three years and is now in Germany. He has been overseas 18 months.
James H. Gibson, S 2/C, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Gibson of Cooleemee, has been in service with the U.S. Navy for the past three years. At present he is stationed at Long Island, N.Y.
Cp. Foy D. Bailey, now in Germany, reports that he is getting along fine. Before entering service he was employed at Mill No. 3.
Sgt. Ernest Rice, standing, second from right, former Cloth Room employee, has been in service 2 ½ years. He is pictured with a group who had been deer hunting somewhere in Germany.
Thomas S. Brown, S 1/C, recently spent a 15-day leave with his wife and parents here. He is a former employee of No. 3 Mill at Cooleemee.
Miss Mildred Mayberry, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R.S. Mayberry, was graduated from the Nursing School at Charlotte Memorial Hospital June 1. She is a graduate of Cooleemee High School and Lees-McRae College.
Jimmie Wilson, A/S, is now taking his boot training with the U.S. Maritime Service at Sheepshead Bay, N.Y. His mother, Mrs. C.R. Wilson, is a Cloth Room employee.
T/5 Thomas White is now in Germany with a Quartermaster Track Co. Thomas was a former mill employee and entered service in 1943. In a recent letter to his parents he stated that he was fine. His mother, Mrs. Mary C. White, gave us the name of our paper.
Pvt. J.T. Sales, son of Mrs. Cosby Sales, is now somewhere in Germany. He says in a recent letter home that he thoroughly enjoys The Erwin Chatter even when reading it in a foxhole.
The following three servicemen are brothers and are sons of Mr. and Mrs. John Canupp of Cooleemee: Otis F. Canupp, S 1/C, husband of the former Iona Blalock, is now in the Pacific. He entered service in April 1944. John Henry Canupp, BM 2/C, entered service in November 1940. He is also in the Pacific. Norman (Hoot) Canupp, S 1/C, entered service September 17, 1943. He is serving aboard a destroyer in the Pacific and participated in the invasions of Iwo Jima, Saipan, Pelew and the Philippines. All three are former employees of the Spinning Room.
Pfc. Harry Monsees is now with the Army of Occupation in Germany. He is the brother of Mrs. O.C. Rambeau and is well known to everyone in Cooleemee.
Pvt. J.G. Addison and Mrs. Addison of Erwin. Private Addison recently spent a 10-day leave with his wife, the former Miss Louise Page,and with his children in Erwin. He is now stationed at Camp Gordon, George. Before entering the service, Private Addison was employed in the Carding Room at Plant No. 5. He is the son of Mrs. Bessie Addison of the Winding Department in Plant No. 2.
Pfc. Joseph L. Tyndall, former employee of No. 5 Weave Room, is serving with the Seventh Army in Germany. He entered the Army May 26, 1943, and received his basic training at Camp Van Dorn, Miss., Lebanon, Tenn., and Camp Breckinridge, Ky. He has been overseas since June of 1944. Pfc. Tyndall’s wife is the former Miss Thelma Spell of Erwin.
Pvt. Odis M. Roberts, son of Mr. and Mrs. D.P. Roberts of Erwin, is serving with the A.A.F. Service Command in Italy. He entered the service August, 1942, and has served oversees since March, 1943. Pvt. Roberts has been awarded the Driver’s Medal for “exemplary efficiency and fidelity.” He was employed in No. 2 Weave Room prior to entering the service. His father is now employed in the same department.
Sgt. J.R. Stephenson is serving in Germany with the Ninth Army. He enlisted in 1937 and received his basic training at Fort Bragg. He was sent to England in 1943 and was in the D-Day invasion of Normandy. He served with the First Army in the battle of St. Lo and was transferred to the Ninth Army in December. His wife, the former Miss Flora Watkins, is serving with the WAVES in Arlington, Va.
Sgt. Stephenson’s brother, H.M. Stephenson, GM 1/C, is serving in the Pacific. He entered the Navy December 1941 and took part in the Normandy invasion and the Okinawa invasion.
They are the sons of Mr. and Mrs. Howard Stephenson of Erwin. Their father is employed in No. 2 Weave Room. Seaman Stephenson was employed in No. 5 Weave Room before he joined the Navy.
Pft. Henry M. Ivey, son of Mr. N.A. Ivey of Dunn, has been in the Pacific war zone for the past three years. He entered the Army in November 1941. He was wounded on Bouganville Island. He is now on duty in the Philippine Islands.

Deaths Reported
Pvt. Theo F. McDaniel, former Vat Dye employee, entered service in April 1944. He was serving with the 4th Marine Division on Iwo Jima where he was killed in February, 1945.
Glenn D. Bolick, missing for some time in Belgium, has now been reported killed. Our sympathy goes out to Mamie Bolick, his sister, who is employed in Carding No. 3.

Spooling, Warping, Slashing, No. 3
We are sorry to hear of Mrs. Biddie Hendrix’s accident. She hurt her arm while wading in a branch on her farm.
We are glad to have Taylor Owens and Herbert Jacobs on the first shift in Spooling, Warping, Slashing No. 3.
Lucy Whitaker has heard from her brother who was wounded in France. He has recovered now and is back with his company.
We are glad to have Mrs. Mary White back at work after being out several months.
We are very proud of the bond sales on the first shift. We can’t let our boys down in this Seventh War Loan Drive.
Pfc. Harvey Barnes of Camp Butner recently spent a 15-day furlough at home. Miss Myrtice Miller came to work on the 28th of May very happy in spirit but said her left arm felt as if it had been sprayed. One of the girls expressed the hope that Harvey didn’t have a crick in his neck when he arrived at Butner.
Gladys Lowder asked off from May 30th to June 4th. Gladys’ excuse was housecleaning but we understand she had company. Well, all excuses don’t have to be placed on paper.
Mr. and Mrs. J.N. Parker and Mrs. Dora Parker Cooper and family of Albemarle, N.C., wish to express their thanks to the Warp Room and their many Cooleemee friends for their kind expression of sympathy through the illness and death of their mother, Mrs. M.L. Parker, who resided with Mrs. Cooper at the time of her death, May 19th.
Pvt. and Mrs. Hanaford Nichols are to be congratulated on the birth of a daughter, Kay Frances, on May 10th. Mrs. Nichols is the daughter of Mr. John C. Bron, slasher tender in the Warp Room. Thurman Bowles said that John seemed to be very nice about being a grandfather and that it was only those who did not have any children who thought John’s broad smile was a tease to them.
Mrs. Lillian Alexander received five letters from an aviation mechanic known to us as Cpl. Brady Alexander who is overseas. The letters all came at one time, and it was a joy to all who watched her read them.
Charles B. Seamon, HA 2/C, recently spent leave with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charlie Seamon. Charles completed his boot training at Bainbridge, Md.

Spinning No. 3
We wish to welcome Mrs. Ruth Lyerly to the Spinning Room. She was transferred from the Cloth Room.
Good luck to the boys who have recently been called into service from the Spinning Room.
To all the boys “over there,” thanks for your letters. It’[s a pleasure to do business with you.
If you want a nice lunch, see Mabel Wilson. She bought a loaf of bread and brought it to the mill. You would have had a real picnic, Mable, if you had only brought some jam, too.
Our Card Room reporter, Mr. Stroud, says he smokes Lucky Strikes when he grinds cards and when he fixes cards he smokes cigars. What we want to know is what he smokes if he has to sweep—Golden Grain?
Lee Trexler, a Spinning Room reporter, needs to get himself a guide. He recently got lost in the dime store in Winston-Salem.
Mrs. Rosa Myers has entered the hospital for an operation. We wish for her the best of luck and a speedy recovery.
Will someone in Cooleemee please open up a hatchery, so Bob Athey won’t have to be bothered with hunting setting eggs for Leon Foster when he goes to Jericho to see his girl. We think Leon should give Bob plenty of fried chicken.
A.T. Trexler Jr. of the U.S. Navy is now at home with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. A.T. Trexler Sr.
We all welcome Cathleen Spry to our department and hope she will enjoy working with us.
Thomas Shoaf has taken his little daughter to Gastonia for treatments. As you know, she was severely burned several months ago.

Yard No. 3
All the men on the Outside know what it takes to keep Mr. James from throwing a fit. They just buy him a bottle of milk and then everything is fine.
Jack McCullough asked off the other day, and we all know that he went to Winston-Salem for he sent work in the next day that he was sick.
Mr. T.J. Beek has been out for several weeks recently with the rheumatism.
Boone Foster says, “If I gotta get the bees, I gotta have the honey.” Isn’t that right, Boone?
We are glad to have Frank Tatum and Cecil Berrier added to our Outside force.
Maybe Fuzzy will get to use the bulldozer after all since Henry will probably to to the Army. Won’t you be tickled, Fuzz?

Office No. 3
Captain S.A. Carnes, USAAF, visited the office in the first week in June. He reported to New York for his assignment and is now en route to Europe to be with the Occupational Troops. Mrs. Carnes and his two children, Betty and Bob, will live here in Cooleemee while he is away. The very best of luck, Sam, from all of us.
Mrs. Rosanna F. Swink was out sick one day recently but is now back on the job.
Mr. Pegram, Mill Superintendent, recently spent a week in New York.
Mrs. Clyde Young spent several days in Greensboro several weeks ago.

Bleach and Vat Dye No. 3
We are all glad to see Hayden Anderson back at work. He was recently discharged from the Army.
Wonder why Arthur Whitaker had to have glasses? Could it be that they have hired so many women in the Bleachery that his eyes suddenly went bad?
We welcome into our happy band four new members: Ralph Richard Wood, Forrest McKinley Steele, George Snider, and Carl Greene.
Mrs. Frances Freeman reports a nice trip to Raleigh last weekend.
We’re glad to report that Clarence McDaniel’s father is able to be at home after being in Charlotte Memorial Hospital for quite a while.
Ethel Mayhew’s mother is in Rowan Memorial Hospital, we are sorry to note.
Paul Whitley, brother of Mrs. Erwin Steels, has arrived home after being in Trinidad for about two years.
We are sorry to report the loss of one of our most influential members. Luck to you, Ruby!
The Minute Maidens wish to express their appreciation of the fine cooperation received during the Seventh War Loan Drive. We not that one of our members presented 19 silver dollars for his bond. Just keep up the splendid work, folks.
Roy Williams spent a few days recently in Augusta, Georgia. He reports a fine trip except for the fact that he had to sleep on the ground.
We understand that our overseers, Mr. Calhoun and Mr. Wands, are real farmers now. We haven’t heard of their outcome as yet.

Carding No. 3
Joe Jones was out sick quite a while recently due to sickness. Joe is much improved now and back on the job.
Maude Gunter is on leave due to an operation. Fellow works wish for her a speedy recovery.
Alvis Cheshire attended a Minister’s School during part of his vacation. The school was conducted by Garner-Webb College, Shelby. Alvis reports very interesting conferences.
Vance Haire recently served as pinch hitter for one of the second shift card grinders who was out to help harvest wheat.
Mary Smith was confined to her home a couple weeks with mumps. Mary says mumps are surly bad company. Quite a number of our group have never had this disease, including one overseer and office lady. Wonder who’s next?
And who is the beautiful blonde who has been attending church services with “Uncle Johnny”?
Big race early the other morning—Tom Plummer and the whistle. Our decision goes to Tom for we think he won, but it was close.
The Card Room boasts about the largest man and the smallest man in the plant, Bud Foster taking the vote for the largest and Frank Combs for the smallest. Frank says where he came from they measure men from the shoulders up. Good for you, Frank.
Most of our workers have good gardens this year. Johnny “Cook has been trying to borrow a stepladder to gather his tomatoes. Says he hates to break the vines down.
Walter Waller has moved into his recently completed new home.
Mr. John Snider, Card Room employee, has had word from his son, John A. Snider, who was previously missing in action. He is now in France and hopes to be home soon.
Our red light is still burning, but we are expecting William Pierce back soon. He has been out due to having cut off one of his fingers.
We are all glad to have had Charlie Barnhardt as a recent visitor. Charlie is in the Navy. Ask Edith if she enjoyed the plane with Charlie.
Robert Safley is back with us after being out for some time because of the serious illness of his son.
We are wondering why Clarence Hampton is always looking sleepy on Mondays.
What man in the Card Room does the cleaning and dressing of chickens for his wife? They say he’s a good hand.
Maxie Seaford and the other elevator operators are proud to have new elevators.
Ruby Nichols while being out has found a new pet. How did you like that lizard anyway, Ruby?
We have some new hands in the Card Room. Ronnie Everett was transferred from the Cloth Room, and Irene Barbee is a new employee.
Charlie Bean is champion fisherman. He caught and sold $23 worth last Saturday.

Production Control No. 3
It seems that two certain girls in Production control are having a hard time deciding on the man. We found them with their heads together writing two names on a piece of paper and crossing out the letters in each name. How did it come out girls?
We thought Liz was on a diet to reduce but we found later it was due to financial problems. We want to express our thanks to the employees of our office for donating pennies for a pork sandwich. Liz, don’t fool us next time.
The carnival has helped a couple girls appreciate good music. The son which is No. 1 on their Hit Parade is Wreck on the Highway. Hallene and Mary Alice had to stay until closing time every night. Good work, girls.
We are sorry that Gilmer Hartley is out sick. We hope he will be back to work soon.

Weaving No. 3
Once more we are working under the Green Light. We hope the red light never returns, and it will not if we do our best to defeat “old man accident.” Our efficient overseer, Mr. L.J. Davis, and his assistants have labored faithfully during the past months, and we are proud of them. Let us make them proud by being careful at all times. Carelessness aids the Japs. Safety will help defeat the Japs.
We are glad to have Jessie Graves with us again after a long rest following an operation.
Lena Matherly is back on the job after taking treatments in a Salisbury hospital.
Effie Snyider is out now and has just recently returned home from the hospital where she underwent an operation.
Pvt. Paul Barney was a recent visitor in this department. Paul is at home now recovering from wounds received in combat.
Bill Creason, BM 2/C, has returned to Florida for a two-week rest period after spending 22 days with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Wilburn Creason. He will then return to New York for reassignment.
If anyone sees an apron walking around without an owner, be sure and notify Mrs. Smith. One of her aprons walked off.
We would like to welcome Geneva Gregory and Dorcas Vogler back to work after being out for a long time.
Sgt. Sam Daniels and Pvt. Silas Daniels are both spending 30-day furloughs with their parents, Mr. and Mrs. S.D. Daniels. They are brothers of Margaret Seamon, now employed in the Weave Room.

Shipping No. 3
Lawrence Williams reports a new boy at home.
We all miss Thomas E. Clement since he left us and went to work on the morning shift. He could always keep us amused.
J.B. Duck is now paying on his sixth watch since January, but will he be satisfied?
Ed Brown if farming very hard these days. Hardly takes time to eat or sleep. J.L. Fleming isn’t doing any better. He just gets in bed and jumps right out again.

No comments:

Post a Comment