Friday, March 25, 2022

J.H. Shuford Shares Baker Family History, March 25, 1922

Some Baker History

By J.H. Shuford

When I was writing a history of the Shuford family my brother, A.A. Shuford, told his wife that I did not say enough about the Baker family. Our mother was Catherine Baker, who married Jacob Shuford in 1829. I went to school in Pennsylvania in 1871-1872-1873-1874. My college days were spent in Montgomery county Pennsylvania where Ursinus College is located. My grandfather was John Baker, who was born in 1775 and came from Pennsylvania to North Carolina. Peter Baker was a pioneer preached (two words that make no sense to me—sh shrdlu) was a preacher in the Lunkards church. He was a leader in that church in his days. He preached in Montgomery, Pa. When I went to school in Pa. I saw many people who were members of the Dunkard church. (Is it Luncards church or Dunkard church? Probably Dunkard, because it was spelled this way on subsequent sentences.)

Peter Baker also preached in Lancaster county, Berks county, Dauflin (Dauphin) county and Lebron county. (There is no Lebron county today, but perhaps there was one at one time?) Peter Baker died in 1734. My grandfather, John Baker, was a member of the Dunkard church. The Dunkard church in Pennsylvania was founded in 1708 by Alexander Mack. Peter Baker was a minister under Mack. He died in 1735. I often heard my mother say that her father and mother were members of the Dunkard church. In the course of time the Dunkard church in Lincoln county, N.C., died out and most of the Bakers who were descendants of John Baker and wife became members of the Baptist church. My mother became a member of the Reformed church. She once said to me that she joined the Reformed church under Rev. John Fritchey and was taken in the church at St. Paul’s church which is near Newton. In the summer of 1871 I left home for Usinus College, Pa. When I told her good bye she said to me, you must go and see father Fritchey. In the spring of 1872 I made a visit to Lancaster, Pa., and spent a night in the home of father Fritchey and family.

The name Baker was first spelt Becker. They were good cooks and knew how to bake good bread and other good things, and they changed their name to Baker. My mother was a fine cook. She knew how to bake good bread, fires, and how to fry meat in the skillet.

From the Hickory Daily Record, March 25, 1922

No comments:

Post a Comment