Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Enoch Parker, 102, Worked as Long as He Lived, Feb. 20, 1924

Was Good and Kind, Living to be 102

Enoch Parker died at his home near Belwood, Cleveland county, a few days ago, aged 102 years, nine months and 15 days.

Before his death Mr. Parker explained that he attributed his attitude toward his fellow man, one of good will and kindness, as a reason for his longevity. He is quoted as saying, “I always tried to do good.” Mr. Parker, in his long life, was a remarkably healthy man, having been ill but little during his life. For 80 years he was a constant user of tobacco and used coffee all his life.

He had a remarkable memory and even in his last years recalled with great clearness incidents of the long ago. He remembered well seeing and talking with heroes of the Revolutionary War and was a young man at the time of the Mexican War. He served in some of the major battles of the War Between the States, fighting with the Confederate forces. He was a life-long Republican.

The following statement by Mr. Parker shortly before his death throws an interesting light on his manner of living.

“All my life I have been fond of vegetables and pork. I liked ham but since my teeth are all gone but one, I find the fat meat easier to masticate, hence more palatable. I seem to have no trouble digesting it. Never ate much beef. I am fond of good, strong coffee. I go to bed at 8 o’clock and rise at 5 every morning. I have not plowed in the field for some years, but I use a hoe and always find something to do. I expect to work as long as I live. I enjoy it.”

From the front page of the North Wilkesboro Hustler, Feb. 20, 1924

No comments:

Post a Comment