Thursday, December 17, 2020

Essex 4th Grader Bettie Wells Write Santa, Dec. 17, 1920

Dear Santa Claus, I am going to tell you what I want you to bring me. Santa Claus, I have all the toys you have ever brought me. If you don’t know the way to my home I will tell you the way, guess you will be at Essex, you go out the back door and turn to your left, keep straight on until you come to two roads one to your left and one to your right, you take the right, then come straight on, you will come through a man’s yard don’t stop but keep the straight road, you will come to a woods come straight on, when you have come for about a half mile look right in front of you and you will see a big white house and a large grove. Santa Claus I will be sure and have our chimneys burnt out so you won’t get your clothes dirty. Santa Claus I want you to bring me a money box to keep my money in. Santa Claus I don’t guess I will see you at Essex, but I will put my money in my Santa Claus box. I want you to bring me a music book of all kinds of notes, well Santa Claus I will be a real good girl for I want you to bring me something nice. Oh! Santa Claus I want you to bring me a doll bed too. Well I guess I better close for this time, for it is nearly time for my English. Santa Claus be sure and bring me some confectioneries too, well good by. From yours so truly, Bettie E. Wells 4th Grade (From the Roanoke Rapid Herald, Dec. 17, 1920)

No comments:

Post a Comment