Saturday, December 31, 2022

William McGee, 15, Raises 29 Bushels of Corn on 'Worthless' Land, Wins $1 for Story Telling About It, 1922

Prize-Winning Corn From Poor Land. . . Boys’ $1 Prize Letter

One of our neighbors owned a small piece of land which he said was too poor to grow anything. He turned it out, so asked him if I could use it. The first year, I planted it in velvet beans for a land improver. From then on I got good results.

The next year I joined the corn club and planted the piece of land in corn. I made 29 bushels on one acre. My corn took first prize at the township fair, and second prize at the county fair.

This experience proves to me that there is a lot of truth in the old saying, “There is more in the man than in the land.” Club work is a good help to our young generation. Every boy and girl should be a member of some club.

I go to school every day and am in the seventh grade. I am going to save my money and pay my way through school

William R. McGee (Age 15)

Harnett County, N.C.

Editor’s Note—Building up poor soil and making it fertile and productive is one of the most worth while things anybody can do. It is a real and genuine service to the community and to the country. Perhaps this letter will inspire other boys to take land that has been “turned out” and make prize-winning crops.

From The Progressive Farmer magazine, page 14, published every Saturday, March 25, 1922

No comments:

Post a Comment