Mrs. Emily Rhodes was seriously injured and seven others suffered minor cuts and bruises in an automobile collision on the Raleigh highway seven miles west of Goldsboro at noon yesterday.
Mrs. Pearl Bridges of Princeton suffered numerous cuts and her son, Ralph Bridges, minor bruises, and Mr. and Mrs. W. L. Harris and four children of Blades, N.C., suffered flesh wounds.
W. H. Rhodes, husband of Mrs. Rhodes, told the News at 8:30 last evening that there were grave doubts as to whether his wife would live. She is 64 years old and suffered the breaking of four ribs, a gash on the side of the head, a cut on the arm and probably internal injuries.
“The accident happened about 12 o’clock and she is not able to speak yet,” said Mr. Rhodes.
Mr. Rhodes, who has been living at 202 Gran??? Street, was moving to the country and his daughter, Mrs. Bridges was assisting. The last load of furniture had been placed on the trucks and Mrs. Bridges, driving a Ford, was trailing the loaded truck. Her mother was occupying the front seat with her and the boy Ralph was in the rear seat.
Near Ebenezer Mrs. Bridges started to pass the truck. Mr. Rhodes said Mr. Harris was approaching from the direction of Raleigh, was attempting to pass the truck at the same time and the two of them met in a head-on collision. They were badly damaged.
Mrs. Rhodes was rushed to the Spicer Sanitorium for treatment and Mr. Harris and family consulted physicians in the city. Mrs. Bridges was able to proceed to her home at Princeton after her injuries were treated, and at 8:40 last night it was said she was able to sit up.
From the front page of the Goldsboro News, Saturday morning, Aug. 14, 1926
newspapers.digitalnc.org/lccn/sn93064755/1926-08-14/ed-1/seq-1/
No comments:
Post a Comment