Thursday, April 30, 2020

A.A. Combs Says He'll Run for Legislature to End Prohibition, April 30, 1920

From The Independent, Elizabeth City, N.C., April 30, 1920

Mr. Combs Wants His Whiskey and Says So. . . Will Run for the Legislature if Necessary to get It Back as in Other Days

In a letter to this newspaper under date of April 24, A.A. Combs of Gum Neck, Tyrrell County, says:

”I am 82 years old or will be on August 9 if I shall be blessed and spared to see it, and if there is no other man got the face on him to ask the people of Tyrrell County to give us whiskey as we had it in our daddies’ and grand-daddies’ times, I will be the man to do so. I am as much opposed to public drunkenness as any Prohibitionist living, but I am not opposed to a man getting drunk if he wants to and will stay out of sight with it. I will, if I have to be a candidate to represent this county, use some language the Prohibitionists won’t wish to hear. I hope every county will put out a man of the same type and I assure you I will vote for no man that will not publicly declare himself as such. I as for you to publish this over my name.”

No comments:

Post a Comment