Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Thad Sharpe's Letter From France Is Shared

From The Daily Times, Wilson, N.C., May 27, 1919

Letter from Thad Sharpe

April 2, 1919
Dear Mother:

Will say a few words to let you hear from me. I received six letters today. Was glad to know you all were well at the time you wrote and hope you are now. I am feeling good all the time, and eating hearty every day. I am o.k. and I trust youi prayers may be answered, in order that I may have good health and a safe return to the good old U.S.A., “the garden spot of the world.” I am trying to not worry over going home. Of course I want to go, and if I had a million dollars I would give it to go rather than stay in France a month longer. But I’m not losing any sleep about it. Why? Because I know I can’t go until Uncle Sam says for me to go. So why should I worry after being in the service nearly two years. Well, one can’t be a good soldier if he is going to worry over home affairs. Not a moment passes that I do not think of home. But know I can’t go until Uncle Sam says the word. I just sing that old army song, “What’s the use of worrying? It never was worth while, So pack up your troubles in your old kit bag, and smile, smile, smile!”

Well, Mama, you can’t imagine how sorry it made me feel to hear of Frank Gardner’s death. I feel so sorry for the family. I know it went hard with them all. You said he was only sick about a week. It must have been a very severe case. I just can’t tell you the kind of friendship that always (word obscured) between frank and myself. I don’t know what made it, but seems like for the last month or more I had thought of Frank every day and I thought I would write to him. Seems like he was on my mind all the time. I know the family feels that they will never get over the death of one so devoted to the pleasure of the family. But as you say, God has the power to help them in time of need and surely He will do so. May His richest blessings come upon the sad and bereaved ones who knew and loved him most. Each day of my life I try to ask God to spare my life and give me a safe return to home and loved ones, and I believe He will. Though if I should be called away and could never see my people and home again I am sure you all would be blessed. So don’t worry about me. 

I think my health is better than it has ever been before, and I’m taking everything in the easiest way possible. Am hoping to be home “toot sweet” as the French say when they mean “right quick.” I must close for this time.

Don’t forget to write me often.

Your loving son,
Thad Sharpe

No comments:

Post a Comment