Sunday, November 27, 2022

Why Cyclone Mack Decided to Stay in the Methodist Church, Nov. 27, 1922

Why “Cyclone Mack” Didn’t Join the Baptist Church

Rev. J.M. Fleming, a pastor in the Robeson association, sends us a long letter which he received from rev. B.J. McLendon, otherwise known as “Cyclone Mack.” As this paper made some stricktures on the Searchlight for saying that Cyclone Mack had joined the First Baptist church at Fort Worth, which the Cyclone denied, we deem it only fair to Dr. Norris to publish the following extracts from Mr. McLendon’s letter:

“I wish to say that the Searchlight was absolutely correct when it said that I was going to join the Baptist church, and if anybody is to blame, it is me and not J. Frank Norris. He is one of the best men I ever knew and would not make a false statement. The last night of my meeting in his great church I stood before a congregation of 6,000 or more people and told them that I was going to join that church just as soon as I could get Dr. W.F. Powell, pastor of the First Baptist church of Nashville, Tenn., to baptize me. When I came home I found so much opposition or not exactly opposition, either, my wife and children are members of the First Methodist church at Bennettsville, S.C., and all their friends are there, and I saw that if they changed churches it would be very reluctantly, and a separated family on church lines is a very serious problem.”

In view of the reasons that controlled Mr. McLendon, we think he acted wisely in remaining in the church of his first love.

From Charity and Children, as reprinted on page 5 of The Hickory Daily Record, Monday, Nov. 27, 1922.

No comments:

Post a Comment