Thursday, November 17, 2022

Davidson College Owned by Presbyterian Church, So Name Must Not be Used for Dance, Nov. 17, 1922

Martin Would Halt Use of Davidson’s Name in Dance Ad

Charlotte, Nov. 17—President W.J. Martin of Davidson college disapproves of the advertisement of the dance to be given in Charlotte following the Carolina-Davidson football game. The dance is advertised as the Carolina-Davidson dance.

“No one is authorized to use the name of Davidson in such a way,” President Martin is quoted in a Charlotte paper as saying.

“I am not told who the parties responsible are,” continued President Martin, “but I wish to say, and say it emphatically, that no one is authorized to use the name of Davidson college in such connection.

“I further request that no such use of the name be made by anyone and that those present placards be removed. Davidson college is owned and controlled by the Presbyterian church, and without entering upon any controversy, I may call to mind that in my official capacity as president of the college I am a servant of that church, whose stand on the dance is pretty generally understood.

“I have the confidence to believe that once this is known and understood, no one will willfully make use of the college name as an advertising asset for such purposes.”

From the front page of The Salisbury Evening Post, Nov. 17, 1922

No comments:

Post a Comment