Thursday, May 27, 2021

Joyner, Scoggin, White, Downey, Wilder, Bobbitt, Pearce, Harris, Yarborough, Jones Support School Bonds, May 27, 1921

Letters to the Editor Supporting School Bonds

The following paragraphs are expressions from the citizens of Louisburg Graded School District on the subject of the school bond election to be held next Tuesday.

I am strong for the bond issue because the Superintendent has said and I happen to be in a position to know that the increased facilities are imperative if we expect the children of this community to keep pace with those of other communities in the improvement of both their bodies and minds; and the further fact that I have heard many excuses why the matter should be deferred, but absolutely no valid REASON why every ballot deposited on the 31st of May should not read “FOR BONDS.”

--L.L. Joyner

I am for Graded School Bonds because Mr. W.R. Mills, our Superintendent, says we need a new building and better equipment and I am willing to trust his judgment.

--L.E. Scoggin

I am for Graded School bonds because, notwithstanding “hard times,” I have not lost faith in the future nor the children of Louisburg Graded School District. My taxes are heavy and all of my property is situated in the Louisburg Graded School District but from a material as well as a moral standpoint I feel that an improved Graded School will be worth immeasurably more than the additional tax and if there were any doubt in my mind I would decide the doubt in favor of our boys and girls and vote in favor of School “Bonds on May 31st.

--W.E. White

I am in favor of School Bonds.

1. Because our schools need to be enlarged and better equipped.

2. Because these needs can be met more promptly and satisfactorily by a bond issue than any other way.

3. Because I desire that Louisburg shall go forward and not backward. To vote against bonds is to vote against better schools. And to vote against better schools is to vote against all the best interests of the town—against the best interests of all the boys and girls of this and the succeeding generations.

4. Because the bond issue equalizes the financial burdens, if to any it seems to be a burden. He who is worth $100—with him who is worth $100,000 and so on.

--W.B. Morton I will vote for school bonds because I believe that our boys and girls should have an equal chance and opportunity with the boys and girls of other communities.

--S.Z. Downey

My reasons for voting for school bonds:

First a selfish one, I would like to have my children educated in as good schools as any town of this size could afford.

2nd, I expect to always make my home in this town and wish it to be able to have good schools, which it can, if its citizens will united to make it so.

3rd, I want to see the town grow. If our schools are not as up-to-date as other places afford, people will not consider this town as a home. More people bring more business, so the merchant, lawyer, doctor, in fact every one who has a business must look to the future, do all you can to make our town so attractive in raising this standard of right living, others will take notice and want to be among us.

--Mrs. S.T. Wilder

As a citizen of Louisburg, I am for Graded School Bonds because I know that a bigger and better Graded School will mean a bigger and better town and community. As an individual, I am for Graded School Bonds because my only child has just graduated at the Louisburg Graded School and if I voted against bonds I would feel that I was a selfish traitor to every other man’s children in the Louisburg Graded School District.

--R.A. Bobbitt

I am in favor of Graded School Bonds because they mean an improved Graded School and an improved Graded School is the best assurance that my children will be educated and the education of my children means more to me than anything else except their salvation.

--Mrs. D.G. Pearce

I am for Graded School Bonds because I am for better schools and a vote in favor of school bonds, in my opinion, will be a vote in favor of better schools.

--J.P. Harris

I am for school bonds because times are hard and threaten to continue so for a long time to come. I can see no chance for our children unless we educate them at least as well as the children of other communities. Geniuses sometimes succeed without education and fools usually fail even with education, but most men and women occupy that station in life for which they have been fitted by education and training. I have only one vote, but I read in the face of every child I see an appeal to me to cast it for school bonds, and it will be so cast.

--W.H. Yarborough

One of the principal reasons why I am for school bonds is because with the money available from the bonds we will be able to build and maintain a school that will carry the average child a long way beyond the point to which he can now do. Only a very small percent of the children ever get to college and the training they get in high school is only academic, and while it lays the foundation for the teacher of a profession, it does not teach any child any profession, therefore, when the average child leaves school he leaves with a good foundation to build upon but with no material to build with.

In the school which will be built, if the bond election is successful, not only will the regular courage be given but the children will be taught professional courses. The girls will be taught domestic science, etc., and the boys will receive courses in agriculture and commercial professions, such as they can now get only when they attend a college and which, of course, the average will miss.

As to the statement that is put forth by some that is not the time for voting bonds to enlarge our school, I can only say that scarcely a week passes in which there is not an account of one or more elections held for school bonds and I have yet to see the account of one that was not successful. If other towns can afford them now Louisburg can and knowing the need for a better and larger school here I would feel that I was untrue to myself and my neighbors if I voted against Graded School Bonds.

--Joseph C. Jones

From the front page of the Franklin Times, Louisburg, N.C., May 27, 1921

No comments:

Post a Comment