Friday, July 24, 2026

Chapel Hill Fire Chief J.L. Foister Moving to Pittsboro Street, July 23, 1926

Fire Chief Moves Home. . . Leaves His Pet Engine, But Will be Able to Reach It Easily

John L. Foister, Chapel Hill’s fire chief, is building a new home on Pittsboro Street and expects to move into it about the middle of August.

This will separate Mr. Foister from his dearly beloved pet, the big red fire engine which is now quartered net door to his home at Columbia and Rosemary streets. But he has arranged to answer alarms promptly from his new residence, so that the village fire-fighting system will not suffer.

“I believe that it is going to be even better for the fire department for me to live in Pittsboro Street,” said Mr. Foister yesterday. “There are six members of the fire company in that neighborhood. The Board of Aldermen has authorized me to put a siren on my private car and when I come out of my yard on a night call, I will sound the siren and this will wake up my fellow firemen who live close by: Neville and Andrews and Wills and Wimberly and Huskey and Partin.

“The telephone company will connect my bedroom up with the fire headquarters. I will have my car headed out when I go to bed every night, and I figure it won’t take me more than a minute to get from home to my firehouse. This won’t mean any loss at all, because it takes that long anyway to get enough men together to man the engine.”

The principal reason for Mr. Foister’s move is that the noise and dust make his present place uncomfortable for his wife. During the day and a good part of the night there is a constant tooting of horns and jarring of brakes and clutches, and clouds of dust float across the yard, which makes housekeeping difficult and discourages sleep.

Mr. Foister has leased his Rosemary Street home to the Theta Kappa Nu Fraternity for two years.

From the front page of the Chapel Hill Weekly, July 23, 1926

newspapers.digitalnc.org/lccn/sn92073229/1926-07-23/ed-1/seq-1/

No comments:

Post a Comment