Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Mollie Wagoner Grateful for Pardon for Infanticide, July 24, 1926

Girl Paroled. . . Governor McLean Believes She Will Make a Useful Citizen

Raleigh, July 24—“There’s a girl that’s been saved for and returned to society; she’s still young and will, I believe, make a useful citizen,” said Governor McLean as Mollie Wagoner, paroled from a 25-year maximum sentenced receive for infanticide, started to her home in Virigina Friday.

There has been but few times that executive clemency received such exuberant appreciation from the paroled prisoner as happened in the case of the 23-year-old Wagoner girl. Given her freedom Thursday afternoon, Mollie paid an unexpected visit to the executive mansion Friday morning.

“I cannot express my appreciation, governor,” said the girl, whose eyes were filled with tears as she shook Mr. McLean’s hand, “but I’m going straight back to my people, and I promise you I won’t get into trouble again.”

Before she left Raleigh, the Wagoner girl made a point of visiting and thanking all State officials who have been kind to her. She said that her treatment at the prison had been “wonderful” and she left feeling that there was still a chance left for her in the world.

Mollie Wagoner, according to information discovered by Pardon Commissioner H. Hoyle Sink who made the investigation of her case, was an inexperienced mountain girl who was lured to Winston-Salem by a man who promised to marry her. Later there was a child and the man, wo received a 30-yuear sentence for his act, killed it. According to all evidence, Mollie’s crime at worst was that of acquiescence. However, she received a sentence of from 18 to 25 years. She had served two years of her time and made an excellent record at the prison.

“I like the way you have expressed your appreciation,” the governor told the girl, “and I believe that you are going to make good.”

From the front page of the Concord Daily Tribune, Saturday, July 24, 1926

newspapers.digitalnc.org/lccn/sn92073201/1926-07-24/ed-1/seq-1/

No comments:

Post a Comment