Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Sam and Fred Pruitt, Both in France, Write Home to Mother, 1918

From the Mount Airy News, Oct. 10, 1918

Letters from Sam and Fred Pruitt, now in France, to their mother Mrs. William Pruitt of Mount Airy

September 9th, 1918
Dear Mother:

Just a line from your boy, all is well and having a very good time.

I have been moving some since I wrote you last. I am back n France again after being away two months and one day.

I guess you think that I have been in France all the while but I haven’t, and I didn’t get very far away from France. But I went far enough to learn what real war was.

Here are a few points that will be of interest to the people who have relatives and friends in this Regiment.

In the sector we just left this Regiment has the honor of being the first American troops on that front to take a prisoner, the first American troops to “go over the top,” and the first American troops to take a town. That does pretty well to begin with, does it not? Our casualties were light. I haven’t heard form Sam in about a week. Guess he is o.k. I saw in the paper last night from the States where the 30th Division took part in the capture of Kemmd Hill in “Flanders.” I happened to be pretty close around at that time. I think “Fritz” or “Jerry” as you may call him, met his match when he met these “Hickory Nuts” from “Old Hickory.” I saw Ernest Wilkinson, Greely Jones, Claude Hooker, Tom Haynes, and some few others of the old bunch a few days ago. All the boys seem to be enjoying the best of health.

Your Loving Son,
Fred C. Pruitt

Sept. 7th, 1918
Dear Mother and Father:

Just a few lines to let you know I am in the best of health, being a good boy, and having a fine time. I think all of the boys are enjoying themselves. We have plenty to eat and lots of nice places to go, so why should we worry? I am leaving all the worries for the other fellow, ha.

We stay busy almost all the time, and when we do get off, we are always so carried away with going some place, we don’t take time to write. Please don’t think hard of me because you don’t hear from me more often. I will write as often as I can. I received your letter of July 22 all o.k. I have only received two letters from you since my arrival overseas. We boys sure do appreciate our mail for it is so seldom we ever get any, some of the boys haven’t received any since they sailed. A real cheerful letter from dear old U.S.A. with good news and cheer makes the days seem brighter and home coming near. Mother dear, I hope you have not been worried because I have not written for some time. It has almost been impossible, and I can’t hardly explain how I feel about it. But you know I will write every time I get a chance, and when we finish this little war problem, your little son Samie will have lots more to talk about. Well, I said little son. Now I don’t feel so very small for I have gained about 20 pounds since my arrival overseas. 

I don’t see why anyone could help but feel good in a country like this where everybody is so kind and friendly and it is such a beautiful country. Lots of pretty flower gardens, I never saw so many pretty flowers in all my life, and you are so fond of flowers, come on over and take a stroll with me. I know you would enjoy it. I guess I had better cut out this for fear you take it for granted this letter it meant for some girl and not for you, mother.

Well, yes it is true I am over here now but I won’t be over here long, for I just came over to get Bill and that is a very small job. I will be back in a few days, ha! Just give my best regards to all the home town people and tell them to buy Liberty Bonds and War Savings stamps and they can rest assured the Stars and Stripes will soon be flying in Berlin. 

I never hear any of the boys say they are sick or speak of how they would like to be back home, but they often say, When the hun has paid well for what he has done, we will have a wonderful story to tell the home folks. 

I never realized what this war meant until I left the State, but now I’ve taken it to heart and am going to see the finish, and by the help of God and Mothers’ prayers I will return the same true boy I was when I left. You must write often for I am always glad to hear from you. I must close, I am sending love to you.

Your loving Son,
Sgt. Samuel R. Pruitt

No comments:

Post a Comment